Driver update error

Options
mjtaryan
mjtaryan Member Posts: 27 New User

I have an Aspire S7-392 that I'm trying to prepare for upgrade to Win 10.  I've downlloaded everything (BIOS files, drivers, accessories) listed on My Acer for this system under the OS Win 8.1 64-bit.  I've not yet risked updating the BIOS, but I've installed the apps and most of the drivers.  However, two driver installations were unsuccessful.  The first is the Intel VGA driver, which when I ran it said the computer didn't meet the minimum requirements for the driver.  But, if my system doesn't meet the minimum requirements why is the file listed?  (My system has an i5 processor, 8gigs of RAM and Win 8.1).  As of last Sept. the system is out of warranty.

The second unsuccessful driver install was the Wireless LAN update.  The message I got says there is an error in the setup file or something like that (I've got a screenshot).

How can these problems be resolved?

Thanks.

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

The Wifi driver may have got corrupted during the download. Delete it and try it again.

The VGA driver probably needs the bios update before it's going to work as it probably contains VGA info in the smbios update. You need to update the bios to the latest driver before you upgrade to Win 10 anyway so you might as well do it.

Make sure it's plugged in and the battery is over 50%. 100% is even better.

• mjtaryan
    Options
    Thanks. With respect to the WiFi driver, We're on the same page -- I've downliaded another copy, but haven't gotteb any further yet. Didn't think about what you mention regarding BIOS and the VGA driver. This raises two more qusstions:

1. I've forgotten how to update the BIOS -- do you have a link for instructions that you can give me?
    2. The Acer download page for my machine and OS has several files some of which are fixes. However, there's no note or footnote telling in which order they need to be installed. Might you know?

Thanks again.
  • philetus
    Options

Download the latest bios and extract it to a new folder on the desktop. You don't hve to install the ones in between, the latest contains everything.

Make sure you're plugged in and battery is good. Open folder and doubleclick the bios executable. Don't touch anything unless you are told to.

• mjtaryan
    Options
    All the files say BIOS, but only one also has "BIOS" in both the first and second columns. I'm not on my system at the moment, but as I recall (and I could be misremembering) all the files have the same date. If I'm correct, which file/files do I want? Thanks.
  • philetus
    Options

You need to be sure whether you have the 

S7-392 or the 

S7-392 (Instant Go).

The Instant go has  no bios updates and it probably wouldn't be good to try to install the S7-392 driver.

You can see here,

http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

Ultra-Thin/ Aspire/S7-392

• mjtaryan
    Options
    Thanks.

When searching for the updates, I used my machine's serial number. Therefore, I assumed what was listed was for my system.

BTW -- the second download of the WiFi driver worked.
  • mjtaryan
    Options

OK.  I've updated the BIOS and all drivers, but am still getting the VGA driver error when I try to install it.  The error message says "This computer doesn't meet the minimum requirements for the software".  The ReadMe file gives no info that sheds light on the issue.  My system has an Intel Core i5 HD processor, 8GB RAM and about 31GB free on the SSD.  The ReadMe file says the driver is compatible with my processor, but I'm wondering about the chipset anyway.

• philetus
    Options

Did you install the chipset driver?

• mjtaryan
    Options

Yes.  I installed them all.  I decided, however, not to worry about it because I use the hdmi port to connect to my monitor, which is also my TV.  So.... I've already upgraded to Win 10 as of today and, thus far, have no hardware problems.  Thanks for your help.