Can't move or install apps on SD card

chriskelly
chriskelly Member Posts: 3 New User

My Acer Aspire R3 laptop has Windows 10 running. When I go to settings it won't allow me the choice to move or intall apps to a SD Card. From what I gather I am supposed to have this option which it currently only gives me for Photos etc. I have tried logging in via the hidden Administrator but that didn't work either. Any help would be appreciated.

Answers

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

OK here is what seems to work on my R3 (and I suspect any windows device. The problem is that Windows sees a SDCard as removable and to install on it it must be fixed.

First follow the instructions here:

" * Insert your microSD card in the slot. Must be formatted NTFS.
    * Go to Disk Management
    * You will see that your microSD card has been assigned a drive letter. Right-click your “Removable” drive and select “Change Drive Letter and Paths for <drive letter>…”
    * Once the card has already been inserted and assigned a drive letter, you cannot simply click “Change…” here (the option you need will be grayed out). So you have to click “Remove”.
    * Now the only option you have is “Add…”. Click it and you will see “Mount in the following empty NTFS folder:”
    * Create a folder right in my Users directory or right in C:. For instance, C: microSD or C: (whatever you want to call it)
    * Select that folder and you are now able to treat your microSD like any other folder in Windows 8, including skydrive
    BTW the microsd doesn't need to be empty as long as its formatted in NTFS, your data will not be deleted or modified (I suppose its always better to back it up first though)."

Reboot and the SDCard should now be a folder on C: (e.g. C:\E). The rest assumes the directory is "E"

Apps can be mounted into and run from this folder.

Now if you also want the SDCard to show up as a drive then you can either use SUBST (e.g. SUBST E: C:\E ) or diddle the registy. See here:

" There is system feature to start a virtual disk from the system registry:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\DOS Devices]
    "E:"="\\??\\C:\\E"

It is enough to create a text file with the extension .REG and run it."

(REG file must be three lines).

I just tried it on my R3 and it seems to work. Be aware that once you make this permanent via the registry, you cannot change SDCards unless the new one has identical contents to the old.