Aspire s7-191-6447 LEDs both dark, charger voltage way high

Options
Doug1029
Doug1029 Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi,

Used my Aspire s7-191-6447 (Windows 8.1) as recently as last night without problems. This morning, LEDs are dark, even when the charger is plugged in, and it doesn't start. My voltmeter shows the charger output as +42 V, which seems way high even without a load (nominal is +19 V / 3.42 A).

This laptop has an external battery pack that is marked as nominal input +19V / 3.42 A and output +11.1 V / 484 mA. (So it appears the actual operating voltage going into the laptop itself is +11.1 V. I'm confused about why the voltage would be further stepped down, but whatever.) I removed the external battery pack from the laptop, hooked it up with the charger, and looked at its output (i.e., the second plug that goes into the laptop). Same +42 V.

Has anyone seen such a high unloaded voltage coming out of their LiteOn charger? Is it likely to have fried the laptop?

Thanks in advance,
Doug

Answers

• Mary-Acer
    Mary-Acer Acer Crew Posts: 868 Acer Crew
    Options

It could be from a bad AC adapter which you can get a replacement from the Acer store at https://store.acer.com/en-us/. It's possible the notebook needs repair as well. We can offer out of warranty service if you like, or you can check with a local repair shop as well.