Aspire r5-571t (R15) Mystery Port

psyclopps
psyclopps Member Posts: 1 New User
edited February 2018 in Swift and Spin Series

When upgrading my memory I noticed a port that looks like an m.2 port but only has 4 pins on the right side instead of the 5 pins I would expect from an m.2 or PCI Express port, at least any that I am familiar with. Does anyone know exactly what kind of port this is? If I could add storage or any capabilities to it I would love to so any info on it would help. 

Picture is attached. 2016-10-12_19-17-30_159.jpeg

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

M.2 2280 port for SSD

this is one of the supported M.2 SSD:

Flash Disk SAMSUNG SSD NAND 512GB MZNLN512HCJH LF+HF PM871 512GB M.2 2280

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    Answer ✓

M.2 2280 port for SSD

this is one of the supported M.2 SSD:

Flash Disk SAMSUNG SSD NAND 512GB MZNLN512HCJH LF+HF PM871 512GB M.2 2280

• sdsubball23
    sdsubball23 Member Posts: 7 New User
    Psyclopps, do you have a full size picture of the internals of the laptop?

Also, did you add a m.2 sdd,
  • mr_BeerLao
    mr_BeerLao Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello,

Is the interface port a PCIe or SSD.  Your provide link is for the Samsung SSD Sata6.  When I inquired from Acer support they say the interface is PCIe.  I bought an Intel SSD6 series PCIe 3.0x4 M.2 2280.  However the Bios does not see the card.

Thank you for any information.

• IronFly

Storage 1: M.2 2242/2260/2280 SATA Gen3x2 SSD

• mr_BeerLao
    mr_BeerLao Member Posts: 2 New User

Can anyone confirmed if the M.2 2242/2260/2280 SATA Gen3x4 SSD will work on this model?  I install the latest BIOS 1.06 and my Intel SSD6 Gen3x4 still not being recognized in the BIOS.  

I dont'want to return the SSD if I can help it.

Thanks

• el_tate
    el_tate Member Posts: 3 New User

Hey, i've only seen that the Crucial MX300 2280 is being recognized on a G6.

However, i've sent an email to Crucial support and they say that the m2 version is not supported, only the SATA is recommended.

Thanks

• Echedey75
    Echedey75 Member Posts: 7 New User

Portable with orginal ssdPortable with orginal ssdCan i add a second ssd sataCan i add a second ssd sataMemoryMemoryThe heatsink and fan are smallThe heatsink and fan are smallThe lid brings a sheet of copperThe lid brings a sheet of copperThe fan is too rough and some of the air does not pass through the bladesThe fan is too rough and some of the air does not pass through the blades

• mathieu
    mathieu Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have an Acer R571T-59DC & I can confirm a Samsung m.2 (SATA) 860 EVO works
  • BRANDENDBAILEY
    BRANDENDBAILEY Member Posts: 1 New User
    Any other information on what devices will work, and instructions on how to get the bios to read them would be awesome. 
  • DavidJHeinrich
    DavidJHeinrich Member Posts: 4 New User
    Any other information on what devices will work, and instructions on how to get the bios to read them would be awesome. 
    I just installed the Intel 660p M.2 2280 1TB PCI-E 3.0 x4 drive (see bulletpoints below) on my Aspire R5-571T. It seems like it isn't recognized by default. I haven't yet looked at the BIOS, but it does not show up under My Computer, despite HWiNFO64 seeing it. 

I'll post more after I troubleshoot.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to make Windows 10 recognize the PCI-E m.2 SSD? (Ultimately, I will mirror my 1TB HDD to it and use it as the boot drive).
    Information from HWiNFO64 v5.92:
    Intel Skylake-U/Y PCH - PCI Express Root Port #9 [A1/C1]
    Device Name:: Intel Skylake-U/Y PCH - PCI Express Root Port #9 [A1/C1]
    Original Device Name:: Intel Skylake-U/Y PCH - PCI Express Root Port #9 [A1/C1]
    Device Class:: PCI-to-PCI Bridge
    Revision ID:: F1 [A1/C1]
    PCI Address (Bus:Device:Function) Number:: 0:29:0
    PCI Latency Timer:: 0
    Hardware ID:: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9D18&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_F1
    Version:: 3
    Maximum Link Width:: 2x
    Current Link Width:: 1x
    Maximum Link Speed:: 8.0 GT/s
    Current Link Speed:: 8.0 GT/s
    Device/Port Type:: Root Port of PCI Express Root Complex
    Slot Implemented:: Yes
    Hot-Plug:: Not Capable
    Hot-Plug Surprise:: Not Capable
    Slot Power Limit:: 25.000 W
    Emergency Power Reduction:: Not Supported
    Active State Power Management (ASPM) Support:: L1
    Active State Power Management (ASPM) Status:: L1 Entry
    L0s Exit Latency:: 512 ns - 1 us
    L1 Exit Latency:: 8 - 16 us
    Maximum Payload Size Supported:: 256 bytes
    Maximum Payload Size:: 128 bytes
    Interrupt Line:: N/A
    Interrupt Pin:: INTA#
    Bus Mastering:: Enabled
    Running At 66 MHz:: Not Capable
    Fast Back-to-Back Transactions:: Not Capable
    Driver Manufacturer:: (Standard system devices)
    Driver Description:: PCI Express Root Port
    Driver Provider:: Microsoft
    Driver Version:: 10.0.17763.1
    Driver Date:: 20-Jun-2006
    DeviceInstanceId: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9D18&SUBSYS_112D1025&REV_F1\3&11583659&0&E8
    Location Paths: PCIROOT(0)#PCI(1D00)

PCI Express x2 Bus #1
    Intel SSD 660p NVMe Controller

Device Name:: Intel SSD 660p NVMe Controller
    Original Device Name:: Intel SSD 660p NVMe Controller
    Device Class:: NVMe Controller
    Revision ID:: 3
    PCI Address (Bus:Device:Function) Number:: 1:0:0
    PCI Latency Timer:: 0
    Hardware ID:: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_F1A8&SUBSYS_390D8086&REV_03
    Version:: 3
    Maximum Link Width:: 4x
    Current Link Width:: 1x
    Maximum Link Speed:: 8.0 GT/s
    Current Link Speed:: 8.0 GT/s
    Device/Port Type:: PCI Express Endpoint
    Slot Implemented:: No
    Emergency Power Reduction:: Not Supported
    Active State Power Management (ASPM) Support:: L1
    Active State Power Management (ASPM) Status:: L1 Entry
    L0s Exit Latency:: 512 ns - 1 us
    L1 Exit Latency:: 4 - 8 us
    Maximum Payload Size Supported:: 128 bytes
    Maximum Payload Size:: 128 bytes
    Interrupt Line:: N/A
    Interrupt Pin:: INTA#
    Memory Base Address 0: B1200000
    Bus Mastering:: Enabled
    Running At 66 MHz:: Not Capable
    Fast Back-to-Back Transactions:: Not Capable
    Driver Manufacturer:: Standard NVM Express Controller
    Driver Description:: Standard NVM Express Controller
    Driver Provider:: Microsoft
    Driver Version:: 10.0.17763.1
    Driver Date:: 20-Jun-2006
    DeviceInstanceId: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_F1A8&SUBSYS_390D8086&REV_03\4&1EA659F&0&00E8
    Location Paths: PCIROOT(0)#PCI(1D00)#PCI(0000)

• DavidJHeinrich
    The Intel 660p 1TB PCI-E 3.0 x4 SSD did not show up in Windows Explorer as it was not formatted or partitioned, being a new drive. So problem solved. It looks like the Acer R5-571T supports a PCI-E 3.0 x4 PCI-E SSD in the m.2 slot. 

Both Intel and Acer were a bit stingy on the screw needed, as neither provided the screw to secure the m.2 2280 form factor SSD to the standoff. I had to borrow a screw from the middle of the neighboring USB port controller, which was already secure by two other screws and should be fine without the third one for a while.

• glovemtb77
    glovemtb77 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Thanks everyone for your help on this and the images helped me find it. I have had the aspire-r5-571t-59dc for years and never knew about this slot. I assume it is M2 nvme/sata (also). Ordered the Samsung 970 EVO 1TB - NVMe PCIe M.2 2280. Hopefully all will go well. I will go ahead and install it and if necessary use disk mgmt tools to allocate temporarily. Then, use Macrum Reflect to clone the sata drive to it. 
    I think after I go into bootup bios and set it as the boot drive I am done. What could go wrong. :)
    I would suspect if you pull a neighboring screw as mentioned above and take it down to h/d or ace store you can match the thread and length. I wonder if there is a heat sink that would fit this anyone know ?
    Thanks again

• glovemtb77

Tinkerer

Yea, I am not getting this right. Of course you want it to be you boot device if you are doing the PCie/nvme ssd in the m.2 slot. Sata interface is killing your ssd speed in the m.2 slot or the hdd slot. With my plan above, I would be cloning a sata driver for windows to it. If I was to use a M.2 Sata ssd drive in that slot as someone did mentioned above, I would be fine. Restated, defeats the purpose and kills your potential speed of the PCie/nvme drive interface. I may have to just install a new version of windows to boot it from; yikes! Any ideas ?
  • DavidJHeinrich
    @glovemtb77, use the HWiNFO program to double check your PCI-E slot maximum link vs. current link width; on my  Acer Aspire R5-571T-5720, port #9 is where I could install the m.2 2280 form factor NVMe SSD and it was PCI-E v3.0, 2x maximum link width. However, the Current Link Width is only 1x for me. 

Also, I was not able to get my 
    Acer Aspire R5-571T-5720 to boot from the m.2 NVMe SSD, so I ended up getting a Samsung 860 EVO 2.5 SATA SSD. Post on your progress and maybe I'll try again!

PCI Express link performance[33][34]
    PCI Express
    version
    IntroducedLine 
    code
    Transfer 
    rate[i]
    Throughput[i]
    ×1×2×4×8×16
    1.020038b/10b2.5 GT/s250 MB/s0.50 GB/s1.0 GB/s2.0 GB/s4.0 GB/s
    2.020078b/10b5.0 GT/s500 MB/s1.0 GB/s2.0 GB/s4.0 GB/s8.0 GB/s
    3.02010128b/130b8.0 GT/s984.6 MB/s1.97 GB/s3.94 GB/s7.88 GB/s15.75 GB/s
  • glovemtb77

Tinkerer

I can't really help with setting up a Nvme as a boot drive because none of them worked in the M.2 slot. (Including the Intel Dave was able to get to work on a newer bios than mine. What did work is the Sata M.2 card that Mathiew got working in his system that has the identical model as mine. Unfortunetly the bios in these machines (like many now-a-days) appears to be write protected. Which means I would have to get a usb bios eprom writer and have the code for this particular model to get the NvMe to work in that slot. What I will work on is setting it up as the boot drive. May or may not work but in bios it was the first drive in the list. (good sign) It is a bit of work but could be worth it if you look at the report below. I can't imagine how fast the seek times would be if it was NvMe even a 1x. 
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/18577536
    DrivesBenchSequentialRandom 4kDeep queue 4k
    Mushkin Reactor 1TB-$135
    116GB free (System drive)
    Firmware: N1007C
    SusWrite @10s intervals: 246 359 387 375 381 384 MB/s
     Performing way below expectations (13thpercentile)
    73.6%Very good
    Read 405
    Write 361
    Mixed 16.7
    SusWrite 356
    64% 285 MB/s
    4K Read 16.9
    4K Write 31
    4K Mixed 25.4
    75% 24.4 MB/s
    DQ Read 259
    DQ Write 280
    DQ Mixed 198
    169% 246 MB/s
    Poor: 61%
    This bench: 73.6%
    Great: 108%
    Samsung 860 EVO M.2 1TB
    127GB free
    Firmware: RVT22B6Q
    SusWrite @10s intervals: 384 382 412 392 407 407 MB/s
     Performing way below expectations (14thpercentile)
    95.1%Outstanding
    Read 343
    Write 329
    Mixed 336
    SusWrite 397
    79% 351 MB/s
    4K Read 30.6
    4K Write 73.9
    4K Mixed 38.6
    135% 47.7 MB/s
    DQ Read 367
    DQ Write 324
    DQ Mixed 316
    245% 336 MB/s
  • glovemtb77

Tinkerer

Let me know if I am wrong on any of this as I have not done tech stuff in quite awhile.

• glovemtb77

Tinkerer

Turns out the R571T-59DC M.2 Sata drive is bootable. I suspect NvME could be too but you need an Acer Aspire R5-571T-5720 or at least a newer model than R571T-59DC (but like I said, at least 59DC boots sata. Was not a given until tested.)
    >>I removed the other 2.5 drive to make sure I was booting what I thought I was. 
    If anyone wants info drop me an email and I will post more on suggestions to test to make sure the NvME is bootable and if it's worth it.  But, the slot definitely has can-boot-from-M.2 built in for sata at least (without reinstalling Windows). If the newer bios supports NvME m.2's, then it would make perfect sense.... :)
    Why would you want that ? I mentioned in previous post the advantages of using a controller that was built for way faster potential O.S. seek/write times that SSD's offer verses sata designed for HD drives.

• JimmyNeedsM2SSD
    JimmyNeedsM2SSD Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Thanks everyone for your help on this and the images helped me find it. I have had the aspire-r5-571t-59dc for years and never knew about this slot. I assume it is M2 nvme/sata (also). Ordered the Samsung 970 EVO 1TB - NVMe PCIe M.2 2280. Hopefully all will go well. I will go ahead and install it and if necessary use disk mgmt tools to allocate temporarily. Then, use Macrum Reflect to clone the sata drive to it. 
    I think after I go into bootup bios and set it as the boot drive I am done. What could go wrong. :)
    I would suspect if you pull a neighboring screw as mentioned above and take it down to h/d or ace store you can match the thread and length. I wonder if there is a heat sink that would fit this anyone know ?
    Thanks again

Did you ever end up getting the evo 970, and if so, did you get it to work?
    I ordered one, based upon the M key notch in the port. I wasn't expecting a SATA port, ie. M + B key, as it had PCIe based notches.

Ordered an enclosure to format it, arrives tomorrow, and then it should recognize it in windows. If that works, I'll order a USB EEPROM programmer on amzn to edit the bios, as ours is normally write protected. Would love to add some overclocking to the bios as well. With no programming skills, I'll either need to find someone with a custom bios, or find a programmer for dummies app

I had a deal for $64 after discounts/cashback which was expiring 12/31/19, so I just bought it without doing the full research...FML
  • Samuel-Acer
    Samuel-Acer Moderator Posts: 687 Moderator
    Hi JimmyNeedsM2SSD,

In order to get your issue addressed we request you to create a new post. This would give attention to all the community members and your post would me more visible to users to help you with your questions

Regards,
    Acer-Samuel
  • glovemtb77

Tinkerer

Hi Jimmy sorry I have not been back here in awhile. No I had to go with Sata ssd's both in the HDD and the "Sata" SSD slot.

2.5 hdd form factor

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B078DPCY3T

Standard ssd form factor

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07822Z77M

I did not want to mess around with flashing the bios. Wondering if you ever did that ? I would do it for giggles if this was not still my main laptop. Industry has dumbed laptops down and ⬆️$$$ for what this one has so I have just kept it going. Still allot of bang for the buck.

I have a couple of 17" Dells 2-1 in my 2 homes for my pianos for sheet reading but this is my go to "work" laptop still after I upgraded the memory and went to SSD's instead of the single super slow HDD. (I just use the 2nd SSD to clone to for emergency's so all I would have to do is change my boot drive in an emergency boot device failure.)