Aspire S7 392 bios changes

PMR100
PMR100 Member Posts: 6 New User

How do i save the changes in bios in Aspire S7 392?  I want to change "secure boot mode" to custom and all i get is standard.  With the standard secure boot mode, all bios changes go back to default after restart. 

Secure boot mode is grayed out and i can't change it to custom. 

Thank you

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

PMR100,

On most Acer laptop models with InsydeH2O UEFI, you must first create a supervisor password in the BIOS/UEFI settings before you can gain access to the advanced secure boot security customization. 

Check to see if you have the latest BIOS/UEFI too.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JordanB
  • PMR100

Thanks for your reply, i understand what i need to do, however, i am still unable to save any changes in bios.  I set all the passwords and only HDD password stays saved.  The supervisor password and other settings reset on restart.

Also is there a way to update the bios in bios?

Thank you 

• JordanB

No.  There's not a way to update the BIOS within the BIOS.

If you forgot to create a USB factory default recovery drive, then you can order your recovery media from Acer.

After you install the recovery media, you can update BIOS.

https://store.acer.com/en-us/extended/recovery/

http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/

• PMR100

Thats what i am trying to do, i want to install clan copy of windows 10 from a usb flash drive, but i can't get the usb to read. 

• JordanB

Here's the steps for clean installing vanilla Windows 8.1.    They are identical for clean installing vanilla Windows 10.

https://community.acer.com/t5/V-and-VN-Series-Laptops/Acer-Aspire-V3-772-Windows-8-1-clean-install/m-p/449512

• JordanB

Did you get it figured out?

You don't need to customize your secure boot settings in order to install Windows 10.  The default settings will work fine.

• PMR100

Nope, i did not.  I still have a problem booting from the USB.  This laptop keeps going into black screen on every other restart.  If i restart and wait 1 min, it boots normal but freezes on Acer logo screen.  I can get into bios before it freezes. 

When i reboot after going into bios, (quick boot aroud 10 seconds, it goes into black screen and all i hear is the fan spinning full speed)

The F12 boot menu, if enabled should that stay always enabled or do i need to keep enabling it?  Becase after the restart when i go to bios settings it shows disabled again.

• JordanB

Try these steps......

1. Go in to UEFI/BIOS settings and create a supervisor password.

2. Tab over to Security Tab

3.  Go to "Erase all Secure Boot Settings" enable/yes

4. Save and exit your UEFI/BIOS

5.  After you save and exit, the computer will restart.

6.  Go in to UEFI/BIOS settings and then to Security tab.

7.  "Restore Secure boot to Factory default" enable/yes

8. Save and exit your UEFI/BIOS

9.  After you save and exit, your computer will restart.

10. Go in to UEFI/BIOS settings and load the default settings (F9) and then save/exit (F10).

11. Create new UEFI Windows 10 media with rufus and the Windows 10 ISO.

See link below to guide on how to create Windows 10 UEFI installation media with rufus and how to use diskpart clean and install windows 10.  Even though the instructions refer to Windows 8.1, they are the identical for Windows 10.

https://community.acer.com/t5/V-and-VN-Series-Laptops/Acer-Aspire-V3-772-Windows-8-1-clean-install/m-p/449512/highlight/true#M11551

If none of that works, then I suspect you have a hardware problem.

• PMR100

After step 5, the computer restarts into black screen.  I have manualy turn it off and wait 20-30 seconds and then start it again.  After that when im back in bios, the supervisor password is not set again.

One thing i noticed today, was that the date was 3 days behind.  I think last time i powered it on was 3 days back.  I wonder if the bios battery is dead?

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Many things will not work properly if the Computer date is wrong.