Aspire S7-392 SD Card Reader not listed in device manager Windows 10

rhuisar
rhuisar Member Posts: 2 New User

Installed Windows 10 x64 via SCCM image with all drivers provided by ACER's download website, and the SD Card Reader does not work nor is it listed in Device Manager. I tried both versions of the drivers from ACER, and I tried the latest version from Realtek's website; still, the reader is not listed in device manager (I'm even showing hidden devices). Does anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this issue?

Answers

• paulieweb
    paulieweb Member Posts: 7 New User

Hi there. Just wanted to report I'm also having the same problem.

Aspire S7-392, card reader was working fine on Windows 8 with official drivers from Acer support website. Did a normal upgrade to Windows 10 (on the Insider Preview track), and the card reader refuses to be seen. I've tried both versions of Acer's official drivers, I've tried the newest from Realtek's website, I've tried a few other manufacturers' versions, none of them do anything.

The card reader isn't seen in the Device Manager at all. When I open [Dev Manager/Universal Serial Bus controllers/Generic USB Hub/], I can't see it in either the Power or Advanced tabs, even after hitting Refresh or Reset Hub (with all different driver versions). Would like to be able to use my card reader again!

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Did you try with a card in the reader ?

With a disk inserted does Device Manager show any errors such as "unknown device". What is shown under Disk drives

Run Diskmgmt.msc . Is a removable disk shown ?

• paulieweb

Yes, I've tried installing and viewing settings with a card both in and out of the drive.

Nothing ever appears to show up or change in "Device Manager" , "This PC" , or "Disk Management" when I have a card and plug it in. Windows doesn't make any sounds. It's like the drive doesn't exist anymore, or isn't connected to the motherboard or something.

From googling the issue, it seems to be a pretty common one affecting Windows 10. Just need new drivers from Acer or Realtek? Not sure.

• rhuisar
    rhuisar Member Posts: 2 New User

Just wanted to add that I had already tried inserting a SD card into the slot, and nothing happens. Just as Paulieweb, no sound, no notification, no changes.

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Not having a S7 it is hard to test but one other thing you can try (be careful, diskpart can destroy your data).

From a command line, run DISKPART then List Volume. Do you see a removable drive ? With the card inserted it should show the size. (type EXIT to displel).

• paulieweb

Nope, just tried it and diskpart didn't show it either. 

• nlatman
    nlatman Member Posts: 1 New User

Has any one found a resolution for the SD card issue??