Aspire S7-391 screen replacement

Crick
Crick Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

Hi all,

Got a broken screen on my S7 and have a screen here to replace it. I've done many screen replacements on various laptops, ipads, iphones etc but not done one of these yet. There isn't much in the service manual on it (only explains how to detatch the LCD assembly) and there's no info on the internets anywhere on removing the LCD. 

I can't see any screw holes or anything on the new LCD i have here so i'm assuming the LCD is attached using an adhesive. My guess is that its similar to a macbook pro where you have to hit it with a heat gun then detach the screen with an opening tool. 

That said, that is just my guess. Can anyone on here tell me how its done before i have a sort of stab in the dark attempt myself? 

Cheers!

Answers

• Crick

Tinkerer

Seen that one. The S7 and S3 screen assembly's seem to be quite different I'm afraid.
  • Crick

Tinkerer

For future reference, for anyone who may want to know. The screen is held on by an adhesive. I managed to remove it using a heat gun and an isesame opener tool and a few other opener tools that i use for ipads etc.

Care must be taken with the cables under the screen. There is one 30 pin connector at the bottom corner that is disconnecting by sliding it up and out of the socket. Then on the opposite side, there is a cable that runs up the side of the screen to the camera etc at the top. These just pop out of their little plastic brackets that hold them in place. The brackets also come off quite easy.

There is one more connector at the top, the cable is attached to the cable for the mic. This just pulls out from the PCB at the top. 

There are also three magnets attached to the back of the original screen, i was able to remove these using one of my opening tools by scraping it off. Then i stuck them to the back of the new screen using some adhesive. I have a roll of this stuff for fixing ipads, phones etc. 

I'm only half way through the repair. I'll be finishing it tomorrow so i'll report back after i've re-attached the LCD assembly to the rest of the laptop.

• jhedin
    jhedin Member Posts: 2 New User

heya, when you had the screen off, did you notice any way to get the touch screen cable out?

I've got a couple of cut wires inside the hinge, and I'm debating whether I need to get a new assembly, or if I can fix those wires.

• NekoCap
    NekoCap Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited June 2018
    Right, broke mine but learned a good lesson. 
    1. The screen is held together by adhesive (as stated by Crick)
    2. The LCD screen is glued together with the front glass/touch capacitive screen
    3. If you wish to fix the screen/replace the LCD, buy the entire screen module as the LCD is VERY difficult to remove.
    4. If you wish to reuse the screen as an external monitor, Do not tamper with the front glass in any way. Remove the back plate, disconnect all connectors except the two strips for the touch capacitors, and GENTLY push the LCD (with the front glass) off the metal frame while heating the adhesive. 

Hope this helps