Aspire S5-371 crashes WIFI regularly

Options
pesi
pesi Member Posts: 9 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

Hi@all,

bought my new Aspire S13 a few weeks ago, didn't have much time to use it/get started with it until last week.

Now I noticed, that if I start my system and connect to WIFI (TP Link Archer V7 AC1750) my whole WIFI setup gets slower and slower immeadiatly and crashes after a timespan from 10sec to 30mins.

Sometimes it works for a while, sometimes it crashes after seconds.

I'm sure that its my notebook, it is definitely the cause!

So I tried to udate drivers, no change.

Uninstall and Fresh install of drivers, no change.

disabled MIMO, no change.

Tried differnt Channels and connection types b/g/a/c etc.,  nothing changes.

Firmware update for the router, no changes.

I'm frustrated and out of ideas, maybe someone in here got some facts?!

If you're asking how I'm connected now (which would be a good question Smiley Wink) , I'm using my phone as hotspot, works surprisingly well, what confuses my a lot more....

thx in advance,

br

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

Try taking your S5-371 to a coffee shop or a friends house.  How does it work then on their wireless router?

Have you tested it with a different wireless router?

Check out the Acer article below.

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/32747#_ga=1.114890823.1157921757.1473448280

Make sure you reset the TP-Link to factory defaults and use the TP-Link default settings when you're testing.

You can also check out the TP Link forum

http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?84840-New-Archer-C7-v2-is-dropping-internet-daily

http://forum.tp-link.com/forumdisplay.php?38-Dual-Band-Wireless-Routers

If you've altered/tinkered with network settings on your computer, you made need to reset your PC to factory condition and just start over.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JordanB
    Options

You can also check for a BIOS update.

http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

s5371.PNG

• pesi
    Options

i just forgot to mention that, allready did the bios update.

I uninstalled a few preinstalled applications, and Wifi worked fine untill today.

Now its the same mess again!

• JordanB
    Options

Ok, but you never answered my question.  Have you tested with a different wireless router at a different location?

I'm sorry but I'm out of ideas.

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

OK. Do you havbe a second machine and does it act the same ?

Have you tested your environment with a tool like InSSIDer to determine if there is a conflict ? (or just move the channel your router is using).

Have you tried an external USB Wireless device like this ?

Right now it is just guesswork.

• pesi
    Options

hey jordan,

thanks for your suggestions, couldn't find the time to answer untill now Smiley Wink

i tried to connect to access point on mobile and at work, seemed to work fine. Tested with mobile for a couple of ours.

I had a closer look on the TP-Link(s) you provided and did some of their troubleshooting suggestions,

reconfiguered rooter again did another FW update. Enabled Flooding protection an a few more things.

Can't remember all of them at the moment Smiley Wink

It works now since thursday i guess, but I'm still in the "one week doing fine" window and a bit sceptic.

But at least it seems the problem is the combination of router and wifi card in the S13, mainly it seems to be the TP Link Archer.

If it starts failing again, I'll go on and disable the 5GHz network and will try with fixed single band operation.

thanks again for your effort!

br

• kfinch
    kfinch Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Hi,

I found this post and I'm encountering a virtually identical problem. My girlfriend has an Acer laptop, our router is a TP-LINK Archer C7 AC1750, and when she connects to our wifi it kills it on a timeframe somewhere between 'immediately' and 'in 30 minutes'.

Is your fix still working? And if so, can you go into more detail on what you did? I found the flood protection setting on my router, I'm going to try enabling that for now.

Thanks!

• padgett
    Options

Saw something about if Bluetooth is allowed to use Power Management, it can disconnect WiFi at the same time it cycles. Fix is to disallow Bluetooth Power Management.

• kfinch
    kfinch Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Tried the flooding protection on the router, and tried disabling power management on Bluetooth, neither worked. Any more suggestions?
  • padgett
    Options

Only to see if it happens with a different router (go to library ?).

• pesi
    Options

hi again,

sorry didn't have any problems untill yesterday, I don't know what exactly changed Smiley Very Happy

so far so bad,what I tried now to get it fixed was:

# limiting to single band (2.4GHz) -> crashes immediately

# turn of IPv6 -> still crashing unreguarly

but what I found out for sure is, that the router causes the trouble not the laptop.

It seems that there are known issues in the TP Link firmware, and in the Drivers of the Qualcom Wifi Card,

if you combine it, you are seriously F+++d.

For the moment I reactivated the Wifi built in the ISPs router, which is not having any problems at the moment.

Seriously having two networks is a pain (printer, network drives etc.) but at the moment it is the most simple solutions.

I will try to install OpenWRT on the TP Link and tell you how it worked out.

br

• JordanB
    Options

You don't need to have two networks.  You can connect the TP-Link to your ISP router as LAN-to-LAN.  Then everything will be on the same LAN segment and you won't have any problems with file sharing, printers, etc....(i.e. you won't have a double NAT).

http://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-417.html

https://awesometoast.com/archer-c9/

• pesi
    Options

in fact I got the TP Link to take traffic of the ISP router to get the IPTV setup running smoothly,

that's why I didn't use the Wireless function of the ISP router.

But thank you i connected the printer now via LAN to the TP link to be able to print again Smiley Wink *yey*

• pesi
    Options

update:

was using single band 5Ghz for a couple of days without problems till now.

Switching back to two connecting S13 to other wireless router.

br

• JordanB
    Options

Ok, but now I'm starting to think your problem could be due to a network configuration problem.  Often times a misconfigured router can give you problems like you're experiencing.

There's two ways to cascade routers via ethernet.  

1.  LAN-to-LAN

I already gave you instructions on how to configure LAN-to-LAN

http://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-417.html

2. LAN-to-WAN

If you currently have them connected LAN-to-WAN, then the TP-link must be on a different LAN segment so you don't double NAT on the same LAN segment.

Example of correct LAN-to-WAN cascade:

ISP router:  Local LAN IP address 192.168.1.1 DHCP server enabled (ethernet connected to ISP router's LAN port)

TP-Link router: Local LAN IP address 192.168.0.1 DHCP server enabled (ethernet connect to TP-link's WAN port)

If you continue to have problems, try changing the TP-Link's local LAN IP address to 192.168.5.1 if you have them cascaded as LAN-to-WAN.

Good luck.

• pesi
    Options

so as you are trying that hard to help me, I appreciate that much, I'll take time and roll out the whole problem with some data.

Setup:

Acer Aspire S5-371

Man. Date: 06/16

BIOS V1.05

Win10 Home 64-Bit

Qualcomm Ahteros QCA61x4A Wireless Network Adapter

Driver Version: 12.0.0.281

Driver Date: 19.09.2016

Network Setup:

ISP Router (A1 Austria) Pirelli PRGAV4202N

Firmware Version: E_3.3.2

LAN IP Adresse: 192.168.1.138
    DHCP Server: enabled
    Wifi: disabled

Connected From LAN (ISP) to WAN (TP Link)
    TP Link Archer C7 v2 (EU)
    Firmware Version: 3.15.1 Build 160616 Rel.44182n
    LAN IP: 192.168.0.1
    DHCP: enabled

Wifi Setup:
    Dual Band 2.4GHz and 5GHz (802.11a/b/g/n/ac)
    WPA/WPA2-AES Keyed

This Setup dwas used for a couple of years i guess two, nothing changed, I just bought the new Aspire.

Since the Aspire is in use, the TP Link router crashes constantly within a timespan from 2 to 45min of Wifi use.
    Network Speed decreases rapidly, untill connection breaks down.
    Doesn't mather if there are other devices connected or not.

I tried for troubleshooting, everything that was mentioned above.
    To summarize shortly:

# Driver Update
    # Driver Uninstall and reinstall
    # uninstalled couple of preinstalled applications
    # updated Router Firmware
    # Disabled 2,4 and 5 GHz bands, single band use
    # disabled IPv6
    # enabled Flood protection

Current Wifi Adapter Settings:
    MIMO Power Save: Disabled
    Preferd Band: No pref
    Roaming Aggressiveness: medium
    Wireless Mode: 11 a/b/g/n/ac

So far so good, TODAY there was a new DRIVER found, I installed it a few hours before and at least I was able to do this post and all the configs in the last 30mins.

WE will see.
    Thank you very much for your help and efforts, hopefully the last firmware fixes the problems.

br

• JordanB
    Options

Sounds good.  Thanks for posting your router's local ip addresses.  That rules out misconfiguration.  Smiley Happy

Yes, hopefully the new driver will fix it.

• padgett
    Options

Sure sound like the memory in the router is filling up which results in the slowdown until it fills completely and crashes. Early Linksys routers had that issue. Does it slow down for all users or just you ?

• pesi
    Options

it slows down for every user,

you might be right with the memory issue, as I told before I'm quite sure now it's the router,

but I don't know why.

There is the same number of devices in the network, the same preferences, the only thing that changed is my machine.

FYI, driver update didn't resolve the issues.

• JordanB
    Options

Try the LAN-to-LAN cascade.  

Your current setup forces everything behind the second NAT to use teredo tunnel for IPv6....which is undesirable. 

Using two routers (two NATs) (two DHCP servers) on the same network is only for intermediate to advanced users.