Aspire R5 471T Bios Update

JohnnyVBC
JohnnyVBC Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi All,

I have just purchases an R5 471T and doing some upgrading last night.  I noticed there are 3 Bios updates. As this is my first ACER, should I do the updates? I know there is a caution on updating BIOS but I just wanted to confirm

Thank you,

Answers

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

In general I do not do BIOS updates without a reason. I also wait about a month for new updates (Win 10 is annoying that way) If it is working well, don't fix it.

The R5-471T I have here is on BIOS 1.03.

• JohnnyVBC
    JohnnyVBC Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks for the reply... I only have done the some of the driver updates and now the wireless mirroring is working! 

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

I am using the latest BIOS version 1.05.  It works fine for me. I didn't have any problem updating to 1.05.  You don't have to be tech savvy to update the BIOS on R5-471T.

If your computer is under warranty, now might be the time to update the BIOS.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

One I have here is now at 1.05. I have not noticed and difference.

Note : the update took about 10 minutes. It is imprtant not to change anything  - even opening or closing the lid - until it is done and reboots.

• zakmir
    zakmir Member Posts: 13 New User

Last night I tried to updgrade my Asire R3-471T-54T1 but it was a complete dud.  I wanted to upgrade my RAM to 12 however, when I installed I only got a black screen. The RAM vendor, CRUCIAL memory tells me to update the BIOS so I tried that as a last resort I couldn't access the BIOS. No info is available anywhere.

Right now the laptop is out of warranty and it is appalling that no upgrade info is to be found on Acer's website. When I called them this call is treated as a out of warranty service and passed on to 3rd party which charges anywhere from $79 - $149 the support is overseas and remote.  

My grief and complain is that this was not a repair issue and shouldn't have anything to do with warranty. If the computer is upgradeable and less than 2 years old, don't we think some type of information should be made available on Acer's website. This is totally hypocritical for these consumer product vendors to take advantage of the customers this way that after the warranty is over. 

I'm sure they are all same as far as customer service, but I had purchased 3 Acers recently and this will be the last time. 

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

zakmir,

This topic is about the Acer convertible R5-471T Skylake computer.  You have the R3-471T Haswell convertible.

Please start a new topic and maybe someone can help you, but you have to provide more details as to exactly what happened.  It's not clear what the problem is.  For example, do you have the original memory installed in your computer?

Edit: In your case, a BIOS update was probably necessary to fix a memory compatibility issue.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • zakmir
    zakmir Member Posts: 13 New User

ANy inforrmation on update the bios. My laptop currently has 1.09 but I saw 1.12 but when I dowlnaoded and try to install it said, this is not the right image.