Aspire R15; can the machine be physically locked? I see no input for a lock, pls advise, thanks!

Options
phayden
phayden Member Posts: 7 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

Aspire R15; can the machine be physically locked? I see no input for a lock anywhere on the laptop, pls advise, thanks!

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,067 Trailblazer
    Options

Hello,

Do you mean using a Kensington lock?

France
  • phayden
    Options

I thought a Kensington lock might work, but it doesn't.  I went back to the store I bought it from and asked what lock to purchase and they said they didn't know of any for that laptop.  Is it correct that this model cannot be locked with a physical lock?  I can't imagine that's right.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• laurent_14
    Options

Hmmm strange. Aspire R5-571T or TG lock slot:

LT-R5-571T

France
  • phayden
    Options

There is no "K" icon on the laptop.  And the slot marked #1 is not the correct size for a kensington (or another other) lock.  I can't imagine there is not way to lock this laptop.  Can you advise?  Thank you very much.

• laurent_14
    Options

Hello,

Could you give me the first ten characters of the computer serial number (S/N)? Only the first ten.

I'll request informations from an Acer technician.

France
  • Mary-Acer
    Mary-Acer Acer Crew Posts: 868 Acer Crew
    Options

Kensington has made different modifications over time to keep up with manufacturer's building more slender laptops. This appears to be a Kensington "style" lock, not necessarily a Kensington lock itself. It appears it uses a slender cable that would loop through one hole and through the second hole that is adjacent to the first hole. You may need to search further for a lock that would use these types of holes. I hope this helps

• laurent_14
    Options
  • phayden
    Options

Hi - I realized that a traditional Kensington would not fit.  What I'm looking for is the type of lock that will fit this Acer product.  Does your previous reply mean that there isn't anyone at Acer that can answer this question?

Thank you.

• phayden
    Options

Hello - is there someone at Acer that can assist with what type of lock will fit this Acer product?

Thank you very much.

• phayden
    Options

Following up again to see if there is someone at Acer that can assist with what type of lock will fit this Acer product?

Thank you.

• 1stevegough
    1stevegough Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

The Dell 2 in 1's use a Noble lock slot...which IS a real product which can be seen here:

http://www.noblelocks.com/noteb/NG12T.html

Don't know if the lock would fit as I've never seen one in a store to try and connect to my Apire15 2 in 1.

• brwneyes2cu
    brwneyes2cu Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Showing results for I have called and talked to ACER tech support, they keep telling me to use the Standard lock - but we all know that is too large for the security port on the Aspire RR. I've also spoken with Kensington and they don't know what to use.... Someone at ACER IT or their design team should provide us with an answer... frustrating.... I may return it and get a HP

• phayden
    Options

hi Brwneyes - unfortunately I never heard back from anyone at Acer re: a solution, very disappointing.

My conclusion is that there is now way to physically lock this machine.

• BC33
    BC33 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    I have verified with Acer that there is no known commercial lock made for the small dual locking slots on the Aspire R 15 and similar. They recommend using a thin cable run through the two holes to secure it, which is what they say they do with machines like this at trade shows, etc. Disappointing, but that seems to be the only choice.