Aspire R14 (R5-471T-51UN) - Bluetooth issues with Windows 10 Anniversary Update

tkelly
tkelly Member Posts: 4 New User

After downloading the Windows 10 Anniversary Update to my R5-471T-51UN laptop, my Logitech M535 Bluetooth mouse will no longer re-connect after either a power-cycle of the mouse or a reboot of the laptop; I have to re-pair the mouse with the laptop every time I want to use it. Uninstalling and re-installing the most current available version of the Bluetooth driver has no effect.

I suspect that there is a compatibility problem with the Bluetooth driver and the Anniversary Update because:

- I didn't have this problem prior to the installation of the Anniversary Update

- My Logitech mouse does not require its own driver

- When I turn off the mouse with the Windows Bluetooth dialog open, the status goes from "Connected" to "Driver error" to "Paired"

Would appreciate any additional troubleshooting advice that I might be overlooking, or (preferably) an estimate as to when a fixed Bluetooth driver will be made available.

Answers

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Do  you have other BT devices paired when it happens ? I have a device that works fine with one or two BT devices paired but things go wonky if I add a third or there are two devices trying to connect to the slave at the same time.

• tkelly

padgett wrote:

Do  you have other BT devices paired when it happens ? I have a device that works fine with one or two BT devices paired but things go wonky if I add a third or there are two devices trying to connect to the slave at the same time.

No, the mouse is the only Bluetooth device I use with the laptop.

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

What bluetooth driver version are you currently using?  Would it be possible for you to post it?

What version did Microsoft give you during the anniversary upgrade process?

You have Intel 7265?  Which adapter do you have?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • tkelly

JordanB wrote:

What bluetooth driver version are you currently using?  Would it be possible for you to post it?

What version did Microsoft give you during the anniversary upgrade process?

You have Intel 7265?  Which adapter do you have?

My laptop has Qualcomm Atheros radios. There's no model number for the Bluetooth radio that I can find, the wireless Ethernet radio is model QCA61x4A. I am using the most current version of the driver available from the Acer website for both - it's a combo installer labeled as version 12.0.0.137. (Although weirdly, when I check the driver version in Device Manager for both radios, the Ethernet driver reflects this version number, while the Bluetooth one shows as 10.0.0.137.)

Windows 10 version is 1607, OS build is 14393.10. I installed the Anniversary Update using the media creation tool.

• JordanB

Ok.  So after the Anniversary Update, you went to Acer downloads to install the driver.  I probably wouldn't have done that.  I would just use whatever Microsoft gave me during the Anniversay update.

Try updating the driver through device manager.  I don't have your computer model, so you can probably ignore my driver version below.  But the driver that I'm using is whatever microsoft gave me during the anniversay update on my desktop computer.

blu.PNG

• tkelly

JordanB wrote:

Ok.  So after the Anniversary Update, you went to Acer downloads to install the driver.  I probably wouldn't have done that.  I would just use whatever Microsoft gave me during the Anniversay update.

Try updating the driver through device manager.  I don't have your computer model, so you can probably ignore my driver version below.  But the driver that I'm using is whatever microsoft gave me during the anniversay update on my desktop computer.

This was the progression:

- Installed the Anniversary Update

- Downloaded and re-applied the driver from the Acer website as-is

- Uninstalled the Acer-suppled driver and allowed Microsoft to install its Bluetooth driver

- Same behavior, so uninstalled the Microsoft driver and did a clean install of the Acer-supplied driver

There was never any change in the behavior of my mouse at any point in time.

And to be clear, the Microsoft-supplied driver was a generic Microsoft driver, it was NOT a Qualcomm Atheros driver.

• JordanB

ok.  Try to update the driver.  See my previous post.

• mjt57
    mjt57 Member Posts: 2 New User

I have the exact same problem with my R14 laptop. Updated to Win10 Anniversary Update and the Logitech Bluetooth mouse no longer works.

Bought a cheap conventional Microsoft wireless mouse to replace it.

• Spaceace912
    Spaceace912 Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi,

I don't mean to hijack, but does anyone know where I can get a replacement motherboard for the computer OP has?

• padgett

Just a possibility but you might try to kick up the priority for the trackpad process. See here.

• Webwiz
    Webwiz Member Posts: 1 New User

I have the same model (Acer R5-471T-51UN). Bought it in May 2016 from BestBuy.

I usually buy used machines and give them complete overhaul before use. This one however was brand new and sealed and I decided to give it a chance with the preinstalled software. That was a mistake.

(Don't worry, this is the story with a happy end, so read on.)

While the hardware is undoubtedly great, the pre-installed Windows 10 that came with that machine was unusable. There were so many software gremlins, I can't even count. Here are just a few.

From the very first day the bluetooth was losing connectivity once in an hour, like on schedule, for 20-30 seconds. At other times the mouse cursor was jumpy when browsing internet. Kinda like the bluetooth and the Wifi were sharing the same driver.

After a sleep/wake cycle both the bluetooth and network would turn off completely. The only solution was a hard reboot.

Once in a while, if I right-clicked to create New Folder, Explorer would fully freeze for 2-3 minutes, then would allow me to type the new folder name. Mind that I did not have any antivirus or disk management software other than Windows Defender that came preinstalled.

The worst thing was not having access to many files on the file system. I spent hours trying to figure out why software compiled for .NET Framework 2.0 would crash on that machine, but worked nicely everywhere else. I figured that the access to many system files on this machine was completely blocked for me despite being the admin. I could not access the HOSTS file and .NET Framework 2 files. I am a software developer and need to change HOSTS file often, as well as being able to run legacy projects dependent on Framework 2.0.

There was no problem with NT security. I managed to set myself as owner of those directories and files, then granted myself full access. No luck. The symptoms were more like a Windows Policy or some rootkit would prevent the user (and Explorer) from accessing certain files.

I ended up just copying those files from another Windows 10 machine on top of those.

Next, the Anniversary Update came. It didn't make things better, to put it gently. It completely screwed Windows updates. While Defender and MS Office updates would pass, any and all Windows updates involving system files would fail. I also could not install Visual Studio on the machine, getting 'no access' messages here and there.

Long story short.. About two weeks ago I downloaded the MS tool to make bootable media and burned the Win 10 bootable DVD. Backed up my files to an external USB drive. Booted up from the newly created Windows 10 DVD, nuked all 6 or so disk partitions, set up the new partitition and installed Windows from scratch.

Luckily none of the Acer drivers were needed for the new Windows install. The Windows seemed to use Microsoft-made and Intel drivers for the hardware and everything works flawlessly now.

Again, the machine is great, it's extremely fast and relatively lightweight, with good screen. But Windows must be reinstalled from scratch to make it usable.

• padgett

Key is to avoid the bloatware (wonder how much is being paid to include it). For AV I use Defender and EMET set "paranoid" - nothing that can inhibit. Pure install like you did accomplishes this.

Are two accounts that Admins cannot touch (but can take ownership), System and Trusted Installer. I have traced problems to files owned by both.

Have tabs with 32GB SSDs running Windows Anniversary but was not easy (though another good reason to remove bloatware).

Must admit I like the graphics but sometimes miss DRDOS. It just worked.