Aspire R11 (R3-131T): Locating the SSD and other general upgrading questions

Wheatley
Wheatley Member Posts: 4 New User
So, I managed to find the RAM with no problem, but I can't find the SSD. I'm starting to think it is just integrated into the motherboard, but at the same time, I'm told I can upgrade it.

Answers

• Wheatley
    Questions:

1) how do I upgrade the size of the SSD?

2) there is this small area next to the motherboard. The void is filled with a metal brace. Can a SSD be placed there? And if so, how would I connect it to the motherboard?

3) can the CPU or GPU be overclocked? I understand that there is no fans, so it would have to be minor overclocking.

4) is there a way to increase cooling, whether that be via fan or heat sink?

5) aside from the SSD and RAM, is there anything else that can be upgraded?
  • ArferDaley
    ArferDaley Member Posts: 15 New User

did the memory upgrade make much difference and if so where  did you get it from please

mine has 2gb was thinking of upgrading to 4gb as i think 2gb is a crazy amount of ram these days

thanks for any input

• Wheatley
    Didn't do much at all. The entire system is heavily bottlenecked at the CPU. Simply bringing up task manager can be a heavy load on it.
  • Wheatley
    I just got the memory from Newegg. Wasn't hard at all.
  • ArferDaley

thanks for the info think i will leave it as it is i can live with it only paid £150 i didn't expect a flyer when i looked at the specs

• jamjons
    jamjons Member Posts: 9 New User

es It make a significant improvement. I upgraded to 8Gb If I had it to do over, I would have gone 16Gb.

I ordered mine thru Amazon and bought Crucial

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

My R3-131T-P344 now has 8GB of RAM and a 256GB EVO SSD. It is running Win 10-64 Anniversary with the latest updates. The SSD runs a CrystalDiskMark 64 at 490/483 MB/s read/write and Bechmarks close to an R14 with an i7.

The N3700 CPU has a Quad Core and can spool up to 2.4GHZ.

Now I can see the ones having a Dual Core N3050 (2.16 GHZ burst) being quite a bit slower. Problem is that the ones you see as loss-leaders are probably not the fast ones. You really need to study the specs on these, the R3s had at least two significantly different motherboards with different CPUs and SSD/HDDs.

(and this is the third example today of the same question).

• ArferDaley

well i upgraded to w10 from w8 added memory to 8GB also filled a SSD evo 850 500GB and to be honest this machine still runs like a bag of spanners was ok for a few weeks then surfin became a nightmare it forever freezes the only good thing i can say about it is it does download pretty fast  the audio is passable  i also use it for casting stuff to my smart tv i have given pc's away in the past but i would never give this away to  a friend  i would chuck it in the bin

and the after service was also rubbish when i asked a few questions all i got back was links to Q&A pages great technical servie that was

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

OK first do you have the N3700 CPU ? N3050 is only two core and much slower.

One of the issues I've had with mine is that the Windows 10 updates tend to be very sloppy. In particuar the DPTF (Thermal framework) drives often are not started and without the CPU will not ramp up (ventless design)

That said when I open task manager and select CPU, the CPU speed is under the graph. I open IE in a second window and go to speed test. Starting the speed test I can see the CPU ramp from 1.60 to 2.39GHz. Does yours do that ?

• jamjons

Yes I have the N3050 processor.  Every new search and command issued will spike cpu for a second. I am not seeing anything exceedint the 1.6 mark

• jamjons

The highest spike I see is 2.15

• ArferDaley

sorry dont wish too be rude but i aint gonna mess about with it anymore  it will just be used for downloading and casting movies and tv programs to my smart tv but good luck too you all i guess we wont be bitten next time Smiley LOL