Acer aspire s7 391 ssd

marlon92
marlon92 Member Posts: 11 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hi guys I have a Acer Aspire s7 391 model (corei7 4GBRAM 256GBSSD) recently my ssd drive stopped working I need to buy a new SSD for my laptop and there are no shops to buy a ssd for my laptop in my country. I am planning to purchase one from ebay or amazon but i am not sure about the model of the ssd i should purchase for my laptop if anyone of u guyz know the model of the ssd which is compatible with the aspire s7 391 model please give me some advice coz i meed to fix my ssd soon thank you

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

The SSD is a PHISON model # KN:2560Q.001. It is a mSATA drive. You have to remove all the screws from the back and remove it to get to the SSD.Any major brand will probably work, but I don't know how big you can go, but you would probably be ok with 512.

http://www.laptopultra.com/guide/acer-aspire-s7-391-disassembly/

If you don't know, read up on static damage to electronics.

• marlon92
    Hi Philetus i have already removed my ssd now i want to buy a new one but i want to be sure on which model to buy which is comaptible with my laptop coz in my country there is no place to buy ssds for my model so i am planning to buy online and want to know an exact model which is compatible with my laptop.(256Gb ssd would be fine) . Thank you for the reply
  • marlon92

Thank You Very much for the quick reply really appreciate it I will the buy the Samsung SSD Smiley HappySmiley Happy

• dladouceur
    dladouceur Member Posts: 3 New User

After exhaustive research this is deal.

The 128GB shipped in RAID-0 mode -- this makes it very very fast as the OS can interleave it's reads from one chip to the other and that will give a 1.3 to 1.5X perforamance improvement over a standard non RAID system. Do you need the RAID-0, NO unless you are running a nuclear power plant with your laptop. Just sync or backup regularly. Almost all m-sata drives that use the older configuration will work. The newest drives will not. I am typing this on a S7-391 with a 500GB Samsung SSD. I am so happy not looking for what to delete next. Here is my configuration -- also the crucial and some other drives will work but the samsung comes with two software tools that make it superior. If you toasted your old drive then start at 6 and have windows image on a USB stick or USB based DVD drive and re-install.

This is what you do:

1. You buy the new drive and a usb case.

2. Put the new drive in the case.

3. download the samsung data migration software

4. This software is finicky -- if it fails -- run the software with minimal drivers loaded or safe mode.

4.a if the software failes then run MSCONFIG -- reboot with just core drivers or safe mode. I had to delete my page file and shutdown system restore. I don't think this is needed but I was being extra careful.

5. The software will transfer everything to the new drive.

6. When complete --take the new drive out the case and put it in the computer - -see instructions below.

7. Reboot computer -- pressing F1 to enter BIOS -- Change disk type to IDE -- it think there is a raid-0 drive there.

8. Boot Normally - -everything should be there.

9. It is advised to turn on ACHI mode see instructions below as this will run the drive faster.

10. Download Magician from Samsumg -- link below.

11. Follow instructions -- for optimum performance you can enable rapid mode.

12. Put the old drive into the case you bought and now you have pocket 128G or whatever you had before.

Disassembly instructions -- piece of cake small phillips and a T6 torx -- USE THE RIGHT TOOLS !!!

http://www.myfixguide.com/manual/acer-aspire-s7-191-disassembly/

Samsung Downloads data migration tool

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/support/downloads.html

Samsung Magician

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5345-samsung-ssd-magician.html

Samsung 840 EVO Series 500GB mSATA3 Solid State Drive

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HWHVOQS/ref=twister_B00ISJDX4K?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

USB 3.0 M-Sata case

MyDigitalSSD Bullet Proof USB 3.0 mSATA SSD Enclosure Adapter - MDMS-BP-USB3

http://www.amazon.com/MyDigitalSSD-Bullet-Proof-Enclosure-Adapter/dp/B00AYIDDMA/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1429897405&sr=8-6&keywords=m-sata+case

MyDigitalSSD Bullet Proof USB 3.0 mSATA SSD Enclosure Adapter - MDMS-BP-USB3

• rlandell
    rlandell Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi,

I have the S7 391 (core I5, 4Gb RAM and 120Gb SSD) and I read that the maximun memory that can be upgrade is 250GB SSD.

Do you know if is that correct?

If it's no, I will try to follow your suggest and use the Samsung 840 EVO Series 500GB mSATA3 Solid State Drive.

Thanks and regards.

• biglaci
    biglaci Member Posts: 1 New User

hello, I can confirm, that Samsung mSATA SSD 850 Evo 500 GB works like a charm.

S7-391 (128GB raid0 originally)

used clonzilla to clone original SSD to backup to usb HDD, and to revoveri to the new 850Evo 500GB.

best regards,

• sonofsun
    sonofsun Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hello! I want upgrade ssd, please help me How to do: 1) turn on ACHI mode (instructions is absent). 2) enabe rapid mode (instructions is absent). Thanks!
  • shawn_
    shawn_ Member Posts: 1 New User

I realize this is a year old thread, but I put a samsung 850 evo 500GB ssd in my s7-391 and stuck the original drive into a usb case (mydigitalssd BP4).

Every thing is working in the laptop wonderfully.  But the old drive in the USB case only shows 60GB of space... anyone else see this behavior.  Should I have done something differently to make the 128GB show up?

• Capslock0
    Capslock0 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Up -- I just installed a 1Tb samsung evo ssd and it now works just fine.
    I didn't understand the part on setting disk type to IDE in the Bios (step 7 above) : I kept getting a blue screen upon booting and the Bios would always revert to AHCI. In the end it worked after rebooting in fail safe mode once, and now the regular boot works fine too.
    I know it's an old topic but I hope this failsafe trick can be useful to others. Have fun!
  • raccoonpan
    raccoonpan Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited December 2018
    Capslock0 said:
    Up -- I just installed a 1Tb samsung evo ssd and it now works just fine.
    I didn't understand the part on setting disk type to IDE in the Bios (step 7 above) : I kept getting a blue screen upon booting and the Bios would always revert to AHCI. In the end it worked after rebooting in fail safe mode once, and now the regular boot works fine too.
    I know it's an old topic but I hope this failsafe trick can be useful to others. Have fun!
    Can you please tell me the model number of Samsung Evo that you installed? I am thinking about upgrading to 1Tb but unsure about which one to use and it stability. Thank you