Acer Spin 3 SP315-51 Invalid BIOS download?

Options
corinaw
corinaw Member Posts: 3 New User

I have an acer spin 3 SP315-51-79NT.  The bios files updated a few weeks ago, but windows is warning me not to run it because it is not signed by the publisher and bios_103 is identifying itself as 7z Setup SFX  File version 4.57 

BIOS -- Acer  -- Fixed power control.  -- 1.03 -- 5.8 MB ---  2016/10/26  -- Download 

Can someone people double check if this is okay to run...  Thank you

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • corinaw
    Options

Hello-

Thanks for the response.  

But out of all the driver updates, an unsigned bios is the last thing I'd want to install on my machine..  And Acer should probably know the protocol on signing drivers and updates....

I just picked up this computer at costco, and there's a strange flash that happens right before windows loads...  It's not normal, and I suspect a rootkit or bootrash has somehow jumped on for the ride.

Windows just stopped me from installing the following drivers because they were not signed or verified  as well.

(BIOS_Acer_1.03_A_A)

Audio_Realtek_6.0.1.7891_W10x64_A

VGA_Intel_20.19.15.4444_W10x64_A

MgmtEngine_Intel_11.0.5.1189_W10x64_A

I'm not sure what to do.  I suppose I'll look around for an acer customer support number or form to submit this. 

• IronFly
    Options
    Those drivers and BIOS are for sure signed, i suggest you to re-install windows, just press Alt+F10 at boot and follow onscreen instructions.
  • corinaw
    Options
    At first all were working except the for the bios.
    I am ex msft and installed a clean uefi boot of win 10

I called Acer tonight and spoke to someone from Tier 1 that was disavowing anything to do with the bios and said I needed to speak w/ Microsoft ( wrong) I'm thinking this is a big company Do all tier 1 people not now what to do? It's all just a process sheet they should follow.

After a bit, I was referred tier 2 have the number and am supposed to call between 1 and 3 eastern time tomorrow.

Does this sound normal to you?????

• IronFly
    Options
    About Tier1 following process sheet, it's normal, about having to call and not re-called from Acer...i don't know they procedure but not normal on my side too.

If drivers were working and not now...honestly i would re-install windows after a good diskpart clean all.

If you got a root kit and BIOS is compromised, you will notice after windows new installation too (but i think you already know it as msft) and so you got a confirmation.
  • mjehret
    mjehret Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

i just purchased this saem system today.  i got it hoem and tried to install Mcafee-  took forever.  Rebotts are takign many minutes to complete. In general just seems slow.  After a long wait with tech support I was told to reset the BIOS and reinstall Windows.  Has anyone else had thsi problem.  Syetsm looked OK at COSTOC, but this is crazy for a new system.  AFter a very long time I am now up to 6% in the windows reinstall.  At some point will need to install all teh programs I need to actually do some work.  Thoughts welcomed.  If this doesnt' do it do I just return?

• mjehret
    mjehret Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

PS.  My apologies for all those typos.....

• IronFly
    Options
    Return it and take a new one.