Acer R14 R5-471-T Laptop: Disable Virtualization (vt-x) in the BIOS/UEFI?

LC1
LC1 Member Posts: 3 New User

I installed Virtualbox which automatically turned on Virtualization (Intel vt-x) in the BIOS/UEFI.  I want to turn it back off, but the option is not offered in the UEFI menus.  Restoring to defaults in UEFI also does not help.  Please advise on how to proceed.

Thanks a lot

Lou

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

Go to Control Panel/ Programs and Features/ Turn Windows features on or off. Uncheck the box next to Hyper-V and click OK.

If you don't have Hyper-V or a Virtualization setting in bios, you don't have Virtualization.

Virtualbox will work without hardware virtualization.

• LC1

Hi and thanks for the reply.

Hyper-V is only applicable to Windows Pro.  I am runnning Windows 10 Home.  

I am taling about Intel VT-X virtualization, which is usually controlled in the BIOS.  The chip in my PC, i5-6200U, does offer virtualization.  While Virtualbox and VMWare will run some Guests without virtualizattion they both require hardware virtualization for 64-bit guests, which is what I ran.  Before I installed Virtualbox, VMWare reported virtualization to be off, but after I had installed Virtualbox, VMWare did not complain and ran.  Also, the Intel Processsor Identification Utility reports:

Intel Virtualization Technology             Yes

Intel VT-x with extended page Tables   Yes

So, I don't know how Virtualbox enabled VT-x, although their documention does state that they do.

Is there some way for me to reset my UEFI back to factory defaults?

Thanks

Lou

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

Go into bios and tap F9, F10, save and exit.

• LC1

I tried that, but it didn't work.

Lou