2nd M.2 SSD --> boot freezes (=RAID can't be disabled ?)

Options
cactus
cactus Member Posts: 3 New User

Hello all,

I have recently bought a R7-372T, with Windows 10 with an UEFI partition on a M.2 SSD (Liteon).

As there is another M.2 slot, I wanted to add anotyher SSD on it (Samsung 850 EVO) in order to install a linux distro but when I plug it in, the boot freezes just after displaying the Acer logo during 0.1 second (then black screen).

I tried to swap the SSD from his slot to the other, tried all the possibilities (with or without each SSD), my conclusion is that the boot freezes when the Samsung SSD is plugged.

I wonder if there is a link with the locked BIOS from Acer (can't change RAID mode to AHCI for example).

I also can't disable Secure boot (could be useful for installing Linux distros).

Can someone help me, please ?

Thank you very much ! Smiley Wink

Answers

• philetus
    Options

Your boot drive is the SSD? When you move it, does bios still show it as drive 1, boot drive?

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

Sounds like it is trying to boot from the second drive. What is the boot order set in the BIOS ?

Have you tried to boot to the BIOS with just the new drive installed ? One possibilitiy: Any Jumpers on the drive ? If both drives are set to "master" they could fight each other.

Suspect there are inexpensive USB to SSD adapters available. I'd see if the drive can mount as an external drive but feeling is that the new drive is either conflicting or bad.

• cactus
    Options

Thank you for you answers.

Without the new SSD, the boot order is "Windows boot manager" first.

With the new SSD, I can't accees to the BIOS, it freezes before I can interrupt the process with F2.

I don't know how this new SSD is formatted.

The pre-installed SSD works on the 2 slots.

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

If you cannot reach the BIOS, that sounds like the new SSD has failed, possibly overloading the power, and POST is failing. When you boot, can you hear (turn volume all the way up) any beeps ?

• cactus
    Options

No beep at all.And I don't think it is an overloading power problem, SSD doesn't need so much power...