RL85 Future SSD Upgrade

zedthegreat
zedthegreat Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi all. First post so go easy Smiley Happy

I hope the below makes sense. I am wanting to buy a UK model Revo RL85, but am a bit put off by the model permutations available under the same high level model number. I have a few questions which are not answered (as far as I can tell) on the Acer site itself or documentation I can find, but happy to be pointed in the direction of any resource.

The two models I am considering are the i5 model with 2TB of HDD only or the equivalent with the 4TB HDD + 60GB SSD (parts number DT.SYYEK.016 and DT.SYYEK.013 respectively). I have a few questions around upgrading the lesser spec model at a later date.

• If I buy the non-SSD model, is there an internal connector to retro-fit an SSD at a later date?
  • If so, what physical size / interface of SSD would be required?
  • Finally, if both the above are possible, how would I move the Windows install to the SSD without having to purchase Windows again (for clarity, my plan would be to run the SSD as a boot drive and the two HDD as data drives in mirrored RAID mode – sorry I forget which RAID number this is).

Any assistance appreciated.

Answers

• peterbrown77
    peterbrown77 Member Posts: 4 New User
    I bought the least expensive (Celeron/60GB SSD) and brought the RAM up to 8GB ($40 on Amazon) and am going to install a refurb'd 750GB/7200 RPM/16GB RAM disk that I found for another $40 online. I'll keep Win10 on the SSD for fast boots and store my user files and media on the 750.
  • marra
    marra Member Posts: 5 New User

I have removed the 2x 1TB disks that came with the Revo One Rl85, installed a Corsair Force 3 60GB drive and the BIOS sees it.  However, when I boot from Windows 8 Install USB it gets as far as "Select the driver to install" "no devices drivers were found, make sure the installation media contains the correct drivers ..."

It looks like it can't see the drive, anyone come across this? 

• marra
    marra Member Posts: 5 New User

copied the drivers from the download section to another USB disk, selected the Intel Chipset 9 series RAiD SATA driver and it again said "no driver"

Any ideas would be very appreciated

• peterbrown77
    peterbrown77 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Wish I could help you Marra, but I haven't faced your issue