RAID & 2xTB drives

Options
marra
marra Member Posts: 5 New User

I have purchased a Revo One RL85 which comes with 2 x 1TB drives.  The default is using RAID, but I want 1 OS & 1 Data (looking to maybe install an SSD for OS at some point).

I amended the BIOS so that the PC was not using RAID but it did not boot, I reset back to RAID and all OK.  Therefore, I used the restore USB I created and restored the PC with RAID disabled in the BIOS.  The restore still only boots with RAID enabled in the BIOS.  

Anyone know how I use the retore USB (as I have no Windows 8 media) with the disks not running RAID.

Sorry if I am missing something really simple here.

Answers

• marra
    Options

I have just performed USB restore & upgrade to Windows 10 leaving the BIOS setting to RAID only to find when I look in disk management I have a C,D,E & F.  Partioned like 2 separate drives.  Able to delete disk 2 partitions and have a full size 1TB (although both disks show boot & recovery partitions).  If I set the disks to AHCI in BIOS it will not boot.

Any ideas?

• sid18
    sid18 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

If you want to restore a raid 0 image to a single drive you'd have to swap out the drives in the system for a single one that's double the size (same size as the 2 drives combined) as this is how much space the image is looking for to restore to.

If it's a raid 1 image you should have been able to restore it to a single drive, if it is raid 1 and didn't restore you may have to disable the second drive in the bios for the restore and then enable it afterwards or remove one from the unit.

• marra
    Options

Cheers, The BIOS does not seem to specify if it RAID 0 or 1. However, looking at the drive config it looks like RAID0.  I am going to slip an SSD into the PC and load Windows 8.1 from a bootable USB, use the 1TB disks as separate storage.

A little disappointed with the Doc's on the device, not too much info on the Acer site specific to the device.