Increasing performance

Options
jsr1clr2
jsr1clr2 Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi All, 

First time posting. In 2010, bought an Acer Revo 3610 from Fry's Electronics. It worked for exactly two years and gave up the ghost the day the warranty expired at Fry's. Took it in the next day and they would not honor it. Needless to say, have never walked into another Fry's.

At any rate, I bought a new 750 MB hard drive and tried to get it to work, with no success. So it sat around the house and I bought a laptop. My wife has been on me to fix and finally I did. I tried installing Windows XP with no success again, and decided this was the issue since the original Revo ran Windows 7. 

So I bought Windows 8.1, 32-bit (and also have the 64-bit disk) recently and installed it and to my amazement it worked! Then I knew Windows 10 was coming out in a few weeks so I let it update this recently as well. It is still working! The RAM has been upgraded to 4 GB (before the failure). 

After all of this, I am just wondering, is there a way to increase the performance even more. I have slow internet connection, but the fan is also coming on quite often when I use the mouse or performing multiple tasks. Has anyone else upgraded to Windows 10?

Just curious if I should prepare myself for another failure shortly and if not, how to increase performance on this Revo system!

Thank you and sorry for the long post!

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

Get an SSD and max out the memory.

• melkisadek
    melkisadek Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Hi and Merry Christmas 2015!

I also have an Acer REVO 3610.    I saw it at Frye's but waited till I got back in St. Louis to purchase from

Micro Center.  I had Windows 8.1 in this unit, with 4G of memory.  I attempted to upgrade it to Windows 10

but so far it hasn't worked for me.

I'd like to know if I understood you posted message.  As I understand it, you have the unit and you installed

Windows 10 successfully.  And then, if I have this right, it died on you?   My unit hasn't died but I haven't been

successful, even using service dept at Micro Center to get the upgrade.

If you did succeed, did you have to modify anything in the unit before the upgrade would work?

I hope you get to read this!

Al

[edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, email addresses, phone numbers, full serial numbers, etc.]