How to Uppdate Aspire R1600 Revo BIOS with downloade bios file

Options
TedZ1558
TedZ1558 Member Posts: 2 New User

Trying to fix CMOS Checksum Error After replacing CMOS Battery; and no chnges as messge still comes on cold boot, want to try with new BIOS version from ACER downwloaded file.  Have read the only how to but on current REVO models.  Can I use the same procedure as described in the ACER BIOS FAQS regarding the upgrade of an Aspire One BIOS?

(That being use of DOS_Flash sub directory, file zg51a32a32.fd on a USB flash drive...)

I have done a similir BIOS update using a similar approch on n ASUS mobo but you work within the ASUS BIOS and it looks for the USB Flash drive and then just does it.

This is on an Aspire R1600 REVO upgraded to WIN 7 32 bit ith 4GB RAM and original XP version hardware.

Any Help? I  would expect this has lredy been posted somewhere in "rchive history but can'ty seem to dind it)

Thanks

TedZ1558

Answers

• TedZ1558
    TedZ1558 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Well, I figured it out thanks to the sidebar references posted after my posting.  I had no idea that the PDF file that ws within the zipped file would give me much of wht I needed.  Had to figure out how to make a USB falsh drive bootble and then used a modified approch within Windows 10 to copy in the Winflsh requirements.  Transferring the flash drive to the ACER R1600 Windows 7 machine I managed to flash the BIOS on the second try. 

Of course this did not solve the CMOS Cheksum error either so I continue to try nd detect the cause.  I did discover that the "ACER CMOS battery" that I purchased thru Amazon has the correct size connector but only two wires and two pins.  Aftter much experimenting and taking apart another Revo R1600 and exmining the working

3 wire 3 pin CMOS battery I tried in vain to find an exact replacement.  The only source I found sas the Smll Battery company in the UK who does not sell to the US.  They do however sell the exct replacemnt (3 wire 3 pin) version.

Deciding nothing ventured nothing gained I checked out the battery I had gotten from Amazon and some of the Google images.  The two wire 3 pin verson looked s if I could put the two pin I had in to the far side of the Mobo connector.  I tried it, reset the System date and loaded default settings.  The batterery seems to hold the CMOS memeory for now so I am going to change the HDD and re-load Win 7.  Overnight shold tell the story.

Hopefully my issue is solved and I have re-flshed the latest BIOS on my old Aspire R1600 Revo.

TedZ1558  Montvale VA USA