Acer Revo 3610 Factory Reset throws an error

papasmurfster
papasmurfster Member Posts: 8 New User

Hey,

I'm trying to factory reset my acer revo and both the Alt + F10 and the Acer eRecovery in windows fails.

The error is "Hard Drive Configuration is not set to factory default. Restore Aborted.

AcerERecoveryErrorPartitions.jpg

Can anyone help

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

did you update from windows 8 to 8.1?

the error is correct, the HDD partitions layout is not like the factory default (that 9GB raw partition is wrong); i can suggest you to try to create an USB recovery media, that will help you re-install the OS from scratch.

Try to use the Acer erecovery to create the recovery media or Windows default utility:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-usb-recovery-drive

you just need to wipe completly the HDD, after the creation of the recovery media, and re-install  everything.

Download Hiren's boot cd
    http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

you must create a bootable media as CD or USB pen from the .iso inside the downloaded .zip file.
    boot selecting Mini XP

Once booted use command prompt:
    then inside the cmd windows, type
    diskpart
    then on diskpart type
    list disk
    take note of the correct disk ID to erase
    type
    select disk x
    (x is the ID of your HDD to erase)
    type
    clean

your HDD will be erased completly

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • papasmurfster

Hey IronFly,

Its an old windows 7 home premium pc. 

I find it strange how the partitions are the wrong size when all ive done with it is play iplayer and install plex.

Is there anything I can do

I have a windows 7 home premium iso from the msdn network. Would this work as the device has a windows serial number label on the case?

• IronFly

yes, it's strange but looking at the partitions and the erecovery error, the partition scheme is wrong or different from the Acer stock.

i think you can try to install your MSDN iso and use the serial on the case, by the way i would try to create the recovery media with Acer erecovery software, even if i'm not sure you will be able with that non standard partition.

• papasmurfster

What if I was able to restore the recovery partition to the original size, would this work?

• IronFly

the recovery partition seems ok, don't mess up with partitions; just try if Acer erecovery is able to make the DVD or USB media recovery.

• papasmurfster

Eventually tried the acer create bootable recovery option and it was still the same error.

looks like im going to have to install using the windows 7 iso.

• IronFly

you can try to merge the raw data partition with the one marked ACER C: and see if this can fix the error.

or it will be interesting to clone the Acer recovery partition to an USB pen or external HDD, make it bootable and see if it can boot.

if it boots and gives you an error, you need to wipe the HDD completly and retry.

i suggest you to create a bootable USB or CD media from Hiren's boot cd .iso
    http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/
    unzip the zip file, burn the .iso file to CD or USB pen/external HDD
    then boot from the burned media and choose mini-xp from the options, once in the desktop, double click "command prompt"

then type
    diskpart
    then on diskpart type
    list disk
    take note of the correct disk ID to erase
    type
    select disk x
    (x is the ID of your HDD to erase)
    type
    clean
    type exit

shutdown Mini Xp

now boot from your recovery media

• papasmurfster

Hey IronFly,

Could do with a little more info on how to do the folllowing

1. merge c:

2. copy the partition as clonzilla wont detect the recovery partition

• IronFly

sorry, extend is the correct name; you can try to extend the C: partition to the raw data partition with windows disk manager (to be honest, i don't like to extend partition especially system partition)

you need to mark the cloned partition as bootable, it's easy.

plug your USB pen with the cloned partition

then

press windows key logo + r

type

diskpart

type 

list disk

(take note of the disk number of your USB pen, normally 1)

type

select disk x

(x is the disk number of your USB pen)

type

list partition

(take note of partition number, probably 0 if you have only 1 partition on the USB)

type

select partition x

(x is the number of your cloned partition)

type

active

type

exit

you have marked the cloned partition as active, now try to boot from that, not sure if it will work but worth a try.

• papasmurfster

I managed to make the recovery partition using gparted. But it wouldnt copy using gparted.

I then tried clonezilla and as u can see in the picture below, the 15gb partition still doesnt appear.

There was no options to extend the recovery partition using windows disk management

clonezilla

• IronFly

using windows disk manager, right click on the recovery partition and try to assign a letter, then copy the partition content to the USB pen and set it bootable.

• papasmurfster

Not having much luck here, when I made the revovery partition bootable, I can only boot into the recovery which would error. So I made the windows installation bootable once again. and now I get a bootmgr is missing. I tried to fix it using the windows revovery mode on the windows installation disc. But I was prompted saying it couldnt be fixed.

Before any of this happened I had tried to use disk manager and all options were greyed out. 

Its not looking good.

I believe the windows installation partition is corrupt.

• IronFly

Time to install your MSDN windows from scratch.

• papasmurfster

Thanks for all your help IronFly.

Ive built a custom windows imatge with all the acer drivers preinstalled. I've also added the service pack and all the windows updates. I used http://www.wincert.net/forum/files/file/5-win-toolkit/

Im then going to create a recovery partition as the first partition on the disk and copy the windows installation disk content to to it, im then going to mark it the recovery partition as "diag" using gparted.

After than im going to use the alt + f10 boot up option to see if it launchers the windows installer from partition 0 (as i think thats all the alt f10 does).

Marking the partition as "diag" should stop it appearing in the installation screen for windows.

will let u know if this works.

If this doesnt work, ill use easybcd