H6510BD not working with Fire TV due to xvYCC

Options
Michael33
Michael33 Member Posts: 3 New User

My new Acer H6510BD Projector only displays the right colors if the xvYCC color gambut is enabled on my Windows 8 computers. When not enabled the colors are all off e.g. white displays as purple etc. When connected to a Fire TV there's the same color problem but I can't enable xvYCC on the Fire TV to fix it. Does anyone know how to get the projector to work with a non-xvYCC device over HDMI?

I've tried two different computer, 3 different HDMI cables, and two different H6510BD projectors, all have had the same problem.

Answers

• Ryanrr
    Ryanrr Member Posts: 831 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

Michael33,

I am sorry to hear that you are facing this issue. For this particular issue I would recommend contacting our technical support in your region for assistance. It sounds like the projector may need a firmware update. This update can only be performed in one of our service facilities. I apologize for the inconvenience in advance.

• Michael33
    Options

Thank you. The projector is being shipped to Acer as we speak. I'll report back the results. I had hoped after buying a new projector I wouldn't need to wait 3 weeks before I could use it. Amazon shipped me a replacement in 1 day but it had the same problem. 

• Michael33
    Options

The projector is now working with my Fire TV. Total turn around time for them to update the firmware to 1.05 was two and a half weeks. Slightly longer than Amazon's two day shipping. If you're not going to let customers update their own firmware then you should at least ship projectors with the current version when the old version doesn't work with any streaming devices.

Keywords for other users with the same problem: Roku, Apple TV, Chromecast

• Sgran
    Sgran Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I'm having a similar issue, and I stumbled across this thread.  My problem only seems to happen when connecting a Wii U via HDMI and starting a "Wii mode" application.  If you're not familiar, the Wii U has backwards compatibility with the original Wii which did not have HDMI, so it's doing some sort of upscaling.  The colors are all green and purple, but only in this mode.  If i reset the console back to the Wii U menu, the color becomes correct again which leads me to believe this can't be a cable or connection issue.

I checked my firmware version using the debug menu (Menu 2)  It appears to be version 1.03.  However, I tried a Fire TV based on this thread and that seems to work fine, as does any other HDMI video source I've tried.  I have an open service order with Acer to return the projector for repair, but I'm not thrilled with the fact that I have to pack it up and pay for shipping myself when I'm not entirely sure a firmware update will fix the problem.

I'm attaching a photo of the broken colors of the Wii menu.  Just wondering if I'm doing the right thing sending this back, or if there's anything else I can try (the chat tech support person couldn't understand the problem as I was explaining it).  Is there any possibility of me updating the firmware myself instead of paying for shipping and worrying about properly packing my delicate projector?

IMG_0405.JPG

Ryan I replyed to your post because I couldn't send you a private message and I'm hopefully that you might be able to help me. Thanks in advance for reading this.

-Dan

• tyxrty
    tyxrty Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Hi,

I have the same problem with ps4, but mine is out of warranty. I am OK to pay for it, but I just cannot find a way to get any techinical support. Both the support line and the website lead me to third-party company "answer-by" but they say they don't deal with anything with projectors. I just need a way to do this firmware update, it should be simple and easy and I am willing to pay for it. But I just cannot find a way. Can you tell me who to contact?

Thank you!

Karl