bought a "used" x34a from amazon and anything over 100fps is tearing badly, is this normal?

mjr2015
mjr2015 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I have 30 days to return the item but let me explain my situation. 

GPU: GTX 1080

CPU: R7 1700

First monitor I bought was predator xb28 4k tn 60 hz / gsync.  tearing like crazy over 60 fps. I  FPS capped  things to 60 hz but this monitor had terrible colors and i just hated it, so i sold  it.

then, I had the dell 27 inch 1440p gsync 144 hz monitor. EVERYthing ran smoothly. Even when games would hit 170+ fps i would experience butter smooth gaming. absolutely best monitor i've ever owned.

then I decided I wanted an ultrawide. So Amazon prime day I got a 20% discount on warehouse items so I got the Predator X34A for ~£600 . It arrive, I unboxed it and hooked it up. great I have an IPS ultrawide! Hands down "one of the best gaming monitors"

i was told.

long story short, I over clock the monitor to 100hz (it's upsetting that it is only 100hz gaming and not on desktop) and load up DOOM. 

Well, I'm averaging ~120fps in doom and the tearing is just crazy. I could fps cap myself but this did NOT happen with my dell. Dell was butter smooth gaming 100% of the time even at 170+ fps.

1) Is this how GSync is suppose to act?

2) why is the Dell performing so much better? is it just 144hz related? or is it a better quality monitor

3) are you supposed to fps cap yourself with GSync?

4) have I just recieved 2 bad monitors from acer? and should I just return this one?