X34 input lag, choppy video

Options
c242
c242 Member Posts: 4 New User
I just got an x34 to replace an xr341ck because it wouldn't run at 75hz on my nvidia card. This x34 looks great and overclocks to 100 just fine but there are some other issues that I am experiencing that I haven't seen anybody else mention. First my x34 will not run smoothly at the stock 60hz. My xr341ck did. I have been running 60hz with fps capped at 63 up until now and it has been very smooth. The x34 is choppy at 60hz at any fps. Higher refresh rates are smooth if I lock matching fps but sometimes it seems to stutter a bit and fps arent budging. Activating gsync brings on noticeable input lag to the point that I don't like it for fps games. If gsync is enabled at 60hz the input lag is really awful , almost on par with vsync. I sometimes randomly encounter input lag when gsync isn't on as well. Has any body encountered issues like this?

Answers

• Vandragorax
    Vandragorax Member Posts: 124 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi c242,

I've not had any of the issues you mention but my first guess would be you're not using a good enough quality Display Port cable.

A lot of issues people have been having are to do with using unrated cables.  Display Port cables aren't rated for different standards like DP1.2, DP1.3 etc. any one will work, but bad quality cables cause a lot of problems when trying to saturate the bandwidth they need to carry for 3440x1440@100hz whereas running 1080@60hz is a lot easier for even a bad quality cable.

• First off, can you ensure you test using the cable which came in the box with the monitor.  I know it's a short cable and this is why a lot of people buy a longer DP cable but don't spend much on it so get a bad quality one which causes all sorts of strange behaviour.
    • If you confirm it works with the cable that came with it, then I suggest you buy a high quality DP cable if you need a longer length one.  Look for something which contains the description "rated for 4K" or similar, then you know it will be able to support the bandwidth needed for 3440x1440@100hz.

I hope this helps, let me know how you get on Smiley Happy

Vandra

• S1mplicity
    S1mplicity Member Posts: 24 New User
    Options

Hi,

To remove the gsync input lag set your fps cap to just say 5fps below the refresh, apparently if you cap out gsync it can cause an input lag, read about it on one of the many sites I have looked at.

They actually tested it, but found gsync input lag to be none existant until you hit the refresh rate and beyond, even then it was minimal, but did exist.