X34 TFT panel "floats" 3mm in front of backlight

MikeyP
MikeyP Member Posts: 2 New User

Just got my X34 today and so far so good. It's performing well. There is a VERY SLIGHT high pitched whine when it's set to 100mhz but impossible to hear when gaming or listening to music, and it dissapears when I shift overdrive down to 90mhz.

One strange thing is that there appears to be a 2-3mm gap between the TFT panel that displays the image and the backlight panel behind it, which means if you're sitting close to the monitor you get a slight "3D" effect right at the very far edges where you can see the side of the unit through the image:

TFT.JPG

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

As far as the whine, I'm sure you didn't buy that to read Facebook or play Freecell.

Seriously though, that thing uses a lot of juice for a monitor.

This review mentions it briefly:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_predator_x34.htm

Does the "3D" effect cause you any discomfort?

• MikeyP
    MikeyP Member Posts: 2 New User

It doesn't cause me discomfort but it's a bit disconcerting as I've never been aware of this gap in any other monitor I have used, it just makes you very aware of the tft film layer floating above the backlight defuser when you look towards the left and right edges of the screen.

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

I had never looked at a exploded view of a TFT panel before. This thing has a lot of layers.

If that is the way it should look at the sides, I imagine you will get used to it after a while.

• Vandragorax
    Vandragorax Member Posts: 124 Die Hard WiFi Icon

I noticed this too on the first day mine arrived.  Very weird when you look closely at the sides/corners but it's nothing that you won't get used to Smiley Happy  I think as far as technical reasons go, it's possible that the backlight panels can't be curved so they remain straight, and the front of the screen is given the slight curve.  Not entirely sure but that would explain why it's more pronounced on the edges.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Can be some engineering tolerance since some heat movement must happen on such big screen and screen curvature.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • jonww74
    jonww74 Member Posts: 1 New User

Glad I'm not the only one to spot this Smiley Happy 

It is a bit strange, I'd be interested to hear if other curved monitors have the same effect...