X34 Issues with 100Hz -> would like some feedback

Options
dododesign
dododesign Member Posts: 4 New User

I just got my new X34 yesterday, plopped it in, turned on Extreme mode and OC it to 100Hz. Installed Battlefront and also changed the Hz in the settings menu in the game. What happend is that the DP logo keept showing up and the screen flickered. 

I have read around and it seems that this monitor is bug ridden and unstable. For me, it was hard to go over 75Hz, but i managed to tweek it up to 80 last night, and this morning 90Hz and it was stable. 

My brother can get 95Hz on his screen without any problem. He said that i should swop the Hz in the Nvidia controll panel to get the settings to stick, is this true? When i restarted the computer today and looked at the sceen info, it said 60Hz, even though i had 80Hz set up the night before. Do i need something special to save the settings? Also, the most important question: how should i do all the settings, i mean, in what order, to get the best result?

I am very happy about the 90, even though i want to get to the 95Hz that most ppl are at. So my question is: is there any tips or tricks that i can do? Should i be happy with 90Hz? Overall, the screen is magical, is just the Hz thats bugging me.

Thank you, and i know this issue has been talked about alot, but would just like some feedback and thoughts in my own thread.

Cheers

Setup (and i know its not the comp):
2 x 980 Phantom (SLI)

16Gb DDR4 3000Hz 

i7-6700 skylake

Sabertooth Z170 MARK 1

Coolermaster 850w silence cooler

Best Answer

• dododesign
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thank you Vandragorax. And yes, i did get great results. It was a very bad cable that made the screen go all crazy. Althought, my brother had the same and did not have any issues.

Solution: i went out and looked around on cables that was rated for 4k and 3000+ px and was baffled how many that was not good enough. I ended up finding a cable that had a 4k rating and 3800px res, that was a DP to DP. I also got a very very small adaptor that was just 2cm long to minimize any lose of information from the card to the monitor, since the card only had Mini DP. And that did it. Have been playing on 95Hz (not tested 100 but will so soon) and not a single flcker after that.

So, for all the ppl with flickering screens: cable cable cable. Go out and look for a 4k rated cable, and you should be good. 

Answers

• dpeagle
    dpeagle Member Posts: 25 New User
    Options

first off, change the extreme setting to normal. i have not read any review that had them move from the normal setting. your brother is correct. changing the refresh rate in the monitor is only half the job. go to nvidia control panel, select change resolution, it should be set to the native resolution of 3440 x 1440 at 60hz. change it to the desired refresh rate and click "apply". the display will blink and ask you if you want to save the setting. click "yes" and your done. to check this, go to your control panel, select "display" and the resolution and refresh rate should be displayed.

• dododesign
    Options

Thank you for your help. My Nvidia cards bugged out a bit during the 2 last days, something called "optimus" got in and turned of the advanced settings in Nvidia controll panel (seems to happen when you have a intel cpu + Nvidia). But a guy recommended that i inactivate one card via the settings in windows, witch i did, and the monitor died, so had to do a hard restard, but that made the Nvidia panel show as normal again. Swoped it to 80Hz and gonna tinker around with it tonight.

Still have the flickering issue, but as i said, that could have been due to the optimus setting. But atm it seems that im stuck at 80Hz, might swop to 90 later to check it out.

• Vandragorax
    Vandragorax Member Posts: 124 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Options

Are you using the Display Port cable that came in the box with the monitor?

There is a HUGE reliance on having a good quality "4k certified" DP cable to run 3440x1440 @ 100hz.  If you are using a bad quality cable, or an extra-long cable, you may experience these sort of issues when attempting to run at high refresh rates so I would advise using the one that came with the monitor and see if you still have problems.  Make sure any cable you buy is rated for 4k, preferably one from this list:

http://www.displayport.org/products-database/?products_category%5b%5d=cables-connectors&products_manufacturer=

(Tick "Cables" then press "Search").

The full article can be read here:

http://www.displayport.org/cables/how-to-choose-a-displayport-cable-and-not-get-a-bad-one/

• dododesign
    Options

@ Vandragorax

Thank you for your feedback. I am not using the cable that i got from the box, since i, sadly, only have mini DP ports on my 2 gfx cards (980 phantom). Kinda strange with such new cards to not have a normal DP port.

I heard the same reasoning from my brother, i currently use a 2m DP to mini-DP from Deltaco. Not sure if its supergood, but since i do get the DP flicker and logo it could very well be that this is the case. 

I, however, still have problems with the glitching, and its even there when i play arond at 75Hz and thats way to low to be accatable. I can accept 80-90Hz and know that 100Hz is pretty hard to get, but my brother has the same card as me, but only one, and a Deltaco cable but only 1m. This is the cabe i am using: http://www.webhallen.com/se-sv/datorer_och_tillbehor/134223-deltaco_displayport_till_mini_displayport-2m-vit&atcl=search:result

I will get a new monitor from the place i bought the first, and hoping it could be a faulty unit.

Does anyone know a high end 4K DP to Mini DP cable thats around 2m that i should by? A good e-store would be great, so i can order it.

OR

An adaptor that can i can use t boost the signal?

Edit: Found this cable that i will test out: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/itemdetails/0B47091/460/67FB3393C9474D4EBB539D3DC944B8CE#overview It should have better power then the deltaco one

• Vandragorax
    Options

I hope you have better luck with the new cable.  The one you found has good reviews and is rated for 4k@60hz so should be good for 3440x1440@100hz Smiley Happy

• dododesign
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thank you Vandragorax. And yes, i did get great results. It was a very bad cable that made the screen go all crazy. Althought, my brother had the same and did not have any issues.

Solution: i went out and looked around on cables that was rated for 4k and 3000+ px and was baffled how many that was not good enough. I ended up finding a cable that had a 4k rating and 3800px res, that was a DP to DP. I also got a very very small adaptor that was just 2cm long to minimize any lose of information from the card to the monitor, since the card only had Mini DP. And that did it. Have been playing on 95Hz (not tested 100 but will so soon) and not a single flcker after that.

So, for all the ppl with flickering screens: cable cable cable. Go out and look for a 4k rated cable, and you should be good. 

• Vandragorax
    Options

Awesome, so glad you resolved the issue, happy gaming! Smiley Very Happy