Predator Z35 Issues

Options
MMJuno
MMJuno Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I purchased this monitor at the end of March (Z35 G-Sync). I work from home, so wanted something that would both be good for gaming, and would be an extra-wide format for multitasking, so felt OK at the time with paying a little extra for something decent that supported G-Sync. Unfortunately, at this time, I cannot reconcile the cost with my experiences, so far.

A rundown of the issues I have encountered:

1. Ghosting / Blurring - This seems worse than my old monitor, but may just be par for the course with this VA panel. I've kind of gotten used to it, I think, but I'm not sure if this is within the normal expectations. I have OD to "Normal" at the moment (which seems to overshoot a bit). "Extreme" overshoots way too much to be usable, in my opinion.

2. Banding - I read that the VA panels have more issues with dark colors than other panels, but again, I am not sure if this is within normal expectations. Darker images and scenes appear like they've been hit with a "posterize" filter.

3. G-Sync Brightness - When G-Sync is enabled, the brightness flickers (especially noticeable on darker scenes), even just sitting on the desktop. The issue disappears when G-Sync is off, or if I switch from DisplayPort to HDMI (since G-Sync isn't usable on HDMI anyway). Changing the refresh rate does not seem to make any difference. This makes G-Sync basically unusable for me since the brightness flickering is distracting/annoying.

4. Odd Behavior with Hash Patterns - This one is the main one that makes me think there is a fault with my monitor. Anything that is an alternating pattern of pixels (some selection box outlines in some applications, for example) will cause the pattern to stretch outside of the application/image and affect the entire width of the screen. Simply opening Paint and creating an alternating checkerboard of black and white pixels will start to exhibit this issue. The larger the sample image, the more it affects the screen. This seems like a major issue. Changing the refresh rate does not affect this issue in any way.

A: Simple test in Paint with a black/white checkerboard pattern. Notice how it is affecting the taskbar on the right, which is completely outside of the Paint window.

Paint TestPaint Test

B: Application selection box. Notice how the top and bottom of the selection box in the app on the right is visible, spilling out of the window, across the background image.

Selection Box - Left SideSelection Box - Left Side

C: Application selection box. Notice how the top and bottom of the selection box in the app on the left is visible, spilling out of the window, across the task bar.

Selection Box - Right SideSelection Box - Right Side

The first couple of these, I could probably live with and get used to. However, the G-Sync brightness issue renders the feature useless and negates half of the reason why I chose this monitor to begin with. Add to that this odd issue with the checkerboard patterns and I'm really not sure what happened with the quality control...

Answers