Acer XB271HUA Colour banding

OneTrickPony
OneTrickPony Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hey,

I have a problem with colour banding, especially in darker colours. When transitioning from a dark shade to another there's a distinct line between the shades.
Tried lowering gamma in the nvidia control, slightly better but far from acceptable. Playing Diablo 3 makes the banding really obvious.

To me it looks like its only boosting gamma in dark areas, all other colours look amazing imho.

Even turning most gamma settings down does not remove colour banding in the dark areas completely.

Not sure if its related, but my Nvidia 3D Lightboost is set to max with no way of changing it. It skips past it when im browsing the menu.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?
Thx in advance!

got a GTX 970 using DP

Monitor gamma set to 2.2

165Hz

1440p

banding.jpg

Answers

• Häxkonst
    Häxkonst Member Posts: 2 New User

I got the exact same problem. Trying everything to figure out if I can fix it. You had any luck since you posted this? I'm running my monitor on a GTX 1070. 2560x1440p 144hz Displayport.

• thuggerfan123
    thuggerfan123 Member Posts: 1 New User

I've got the same monitor and the same problem. It's so bad that it keeps me from playing games with a dark setting like Diablo, Amnesia e.t.c. which really sucks. I've also noticed that where the dark areas transition to bright there seems to be shades of green. Here's a sad picture of a "dark" room in the Witcher 3. This shouldn't really be a problem for a monitor in this price range. 

IMG_1545.JPG

• Häxkonst
    Häxkonst Member Posts: 2 New User

I've sent my monitor to Acer's service center. I tried pretty much all I could think of without success. I contacted Acer and they thought that the monitor was faulty. I suggest you do the same Smiley Frustrated

• Jensa
    Jensa Member Posts: 2 New User
    Did you guys figure out how to turn off Nvidia Lightboost, skips the line on my monitor to?
  • MechDragon
    MechDragon Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter

I have that issue. Dark areas very pixelelated. Is this normal for such a monitor?

vYc3SCUtKn8.jpg

• Mulleboy
    Mulleboy Member Posts: 1 New User

I have the exact same problem.

I went back to my retailer (www.inet.se) in Sweden and it was sent back for repairs to Acer in Germany. It came back exactly the same. The repair workshop stated that it did find color problems and that the G-sync module was replaced - but nothing was fixed.

Sending it back doesn't even seem to resolve the problem. Perhaps Acer thinks this is good enough quality? I'm about to return mine for the money now, even the store itself and the staff all looked surprised when I showed them the banding in the store (they had one on display, exact same problem).

screen1.jpgscreen2.jpg

This is just a really bad monitor. And nobody from ACER has replied to any of these threads - they don't care.

• MechDragon
    MechDragon Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter

Mulleboy,

After some research, I came to the conclusion that it is normal for these monitors. All other monitors with a TN matrix, 1440p resolution and gsync from all manufacturers have exactly the same problems. I did not have time to return the monitor in the first two weeks. I sent the monitor for repairs, nothing has changed. Then I wrote about this email in support. I was told that this is a limitation of the monitor and advised to do less brightness. Now I live with it.

• Astic0
    Astic0 Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello,

People have had the same problem on MSI notebook and have resolved it by setting 6bpc instead of 8bpc

french inside sorry : http://forum.hardware.fr/hfr/OrdinateursPortables/portable/epidemie-banding-solution-sujet_81232_1.htm

but you can see screenshot before and after.

But i can get this option in my control panel even by creating custom resolution.

https://imgur.com/DzFASnf