PREDATOR HELIOS 300 - Windows random freezes and BIOS Problem

Options
eminc
eminc Member Posts: 23 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

Hi everyone. My predator freezes randomly when i tap-click something on screen for example windows logo or volume settings or question like YES or NO. It freezes for a second. What should I do?

And I updated just 1.09 version of BIOS. I did not download 1.06, 1.07 etc. Can it be problem? Do I have to install all updates or it is enough that just 1.09 version? 

and a few days ago I updated driver from devices manager(INTEL GRAPHIC DRIVERS UPDATE) and when i try to play CS-GO i did not get a fps. It was 1-60 fps. and I removed the last updates then it is fixed. Is there anybody who has this problem? What should I do? 

I hope I am gonna fix these problems. Thank you Have a nice day.

Answers

• Flx
    Flx Member Posts: 466 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

You're fine with just the latest BIOS don't worry about getting the other ones. Do not update your Intel driver from the device manager, only install the one you can get from Acer.com

I'd suggest turning off Windows 10 automatic driver updates it can really screw things up also here are the steps:

1. Press windows key + 'pause break' key (usually near top of keyboard near print screen button)

2. A window will pop up: on the left hand side of the window click 'Advanced System Settings'

3. Click on the "Hardware" tab at the top of the box that pops up

4. Click the button that says "Device Installation Settings"

5. Tick the circle next to "No" and then click 'Save Changes'

Your laptop should be using the Nvidia GPU, not the Intel for gaming. Go into your Nvidia control panel and make sure under "Manage 3d settings" that your 'preferred graphics processor' box says Auto-Select.

• eminc
    Options

thank you for information. I removed last updates and all systems looks like working properly.

What about randomly freezes? It does not happen always but when I don't like happening it. How can I beat it? 

Thank you so much.

• Flx
    Options

eminc wrote:

thank you for information. I removed last updates and all systems looks like working properly.

What about randomly freezes? It does not happen always but when I don't like happening it. How can I beat it? 

Thank you so much.

Okay if everything is working then that's good. As to your freezing that is a little tougher to diagnose can you describe what happens more, how long does it freeze? Do you have only a solid state drive or do you have an additional hard drive? Are you using an external mouse of any kind or the touch pad? Also was this a behavior that you always had or did it just start. I know it's alot of questions but it will help narrow things down.

• eminc
    Options

not problem :d I can also answer more questions. The freeze takes a second not more long. Just freezing for a moment. I just have Solid State Disk. I haven't HDD. I am just using external mouse. 

And with no certainty, I think I have this problem since the day when I bought.

Thank you. 

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    I had same/similar problem with my GX-791 but then one day it disappeared just like that. You can update the Intel HD Graphics driver and the Nvidia driver to the latest version. This might fix your issue.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• ven98
    Options
    Update the driver from Intel's and Nvidia's official websites.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• eminc
    Options

I downloaded intel® driver update utility and scanned for update. and this program did not find any update. but when I try to find with third-party software, the program is finding some updates. I did not understand. nevermind. I believe Intel's original program. My drivers looks like up-to-date. But freeze problem seems sometimes. I am trying to find ways to fix. Thank you so much.

• Flx
    Options

I would get your drivers from here: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers. Fill in your computer information and it will take you to what you need. Put 'Notebook' in the first box, 'Predator' in the second and in the third look for your exact model number. (Click on the boxes and a drop down menu will show up to select these options). If you know your serial number you could also just type that in the box and click find.

Those drivers are produced by Acer and I've found the best results with them. Also I noticed when I used my mouse on my friends wooden desk it would catch and freeze because of the laser catching a groove or something, when I use it on my mouse pad (when it's clean) it works fine. Are you using a program for your external mouse (I'm using Razer synapse) if you are, make sure that program is fully updated also.

• eminc
    Options

I don't think It is about external mouse or it's program. If I do same work with touchpad, It is again appearing. Thank you.

• Flx
    Options

eminc wrote:

I don't think It is about external mouse or it's program. If I do same work with touchpad, It is again appearing. Thank you.

Okay I'm leaning towards a driver somewhere then, update your drivers from that link I gave you. It might just go away on it's own like Ven said. Sometimes computers are finicky like that.

• ven98
    Options
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26941/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-46-?product=80939 this is Intel's latest HD graphics driver, so try installing it from there.

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us from this link you can install the latest nvidia driver by finding your GPU and choosing 'search'.

Also try updating every driver, especially killer suite from its official publisher, as it could be the culprit for this freezing who knows.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• eminc
    Options

I got a clean format on the computer. I still have the same problem of freezing. After the format was over, the chrome black screen started to fail. When I first bought it, I was getting 250 fps, now 160 for CS:GO. And cs: go is not opening anymore. I am gettin 1 -2 -3 -4 fps while i was trying to open, and it can not be opened.

i have many problem with this laptop. what will i do, I don't know. It is disappointment. 

is the gpu (gtx1060) mobile version of gtx1060 in this computer? are there any difference? again it is disappointment.

• Flx
    Options

eminc wrote:

I got a clean format on the computer. I still have the same problem of freezing. After the format was over, the chrome black screen started to fail. When I first bought it, I was getting 250 fps, now 160 for CS:GO. And cs: go is not opening anymore. I am gettin 1 -2 -3 -4 fps while i was trying to open, and it can not be opened.

i have many problem with this laptop. what will i do, I don't know. It is disappointment. 

is the gpu (gtx1060) mobile version of gtx1060 in this computer? are there any difference? again it is disappointment.

Sorry to hear man, you should not have more problems after re-installing than before. Did you update your drivers from Acer site? And turn off automatic driver downloads definitely. The 1060 is the same as the desktop but downclocked a little, it is within 10% of the desktop version.

• eminc
    Options
    I did not turn off auto driver update and i updated from acer website all drivers. What can i do? Shall I got a clean format again? And turn off it.

And how can I learn that my system is working very well? I can not be sure about my hardware. Maybe problems are about software I am okay. However if it is about hardware ?

And I need to your suggests what should I do? Again clean format? Or refund? I bought this item in America on Amazon but i am living on Turkey. Whats can i do ?
  • ven98
    Options
    Try updating the drivers from Nvidia's and Intel's official websites, not from Acer's website as the drivers there are outdated.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• eminc
    Options
    I do not think it is about these websites. So what should I do?
  • Flx
    Options

Ok the drivers are outdated maybe but they are specifically made for these laptops from the manufacturer, I'm using only drivers from Acer site and I have no problems. Yes you can re-install again and try once more, turn off auto update for drivers. Press winkey + r and type dxdiag and the window that pops up can tell you if some basic functions are having issues. It can be hard to diagnose laptop hardware unfortunately it's not like a desktop where you can remove and test individual parts.

• eminc
    Options

Can someone who have the same product run this program with this settings. My results are below. If it is under the average benchmark, I am going to replace this item with new one.

With this settingsWith this settingsResultResult

• Flx
    Options

I'll download it and see what the results are.

Edit: I ran the benchmark 3 times and each was similar enough. I got FPS: 59.9, Score: 1501, Min FPS: 24, Max FPS: 129. So the results seem close enough to yours. Not really sure what to make of that, I get great FPS in all the games I play so it makes me think your issue is software or theres something specifically wrong with your machine. What are your temps like when you play games?

• eminc
    Options
    In my results, the gpu model is Gtx 1060 "4gb". How it look like in your result?