I am planning to purchase GX-792

Options
ven98
ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I am planning to purchase Acer Predator GX-792 after 2 weeks. This is directed to the people, who already own this product. Can you share your opinions on this product? For example any issues that I should be aware of.

Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
-Model number
-Part number(not required, but helpful)
-CPU
-GPU
-Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• Robitzik
    Robitzik Member Posts: 68 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    Other than the 2 obvious things that i mentioned, CPU temps and the annoying Dolby Audio disabling itself when using mic, it is a great performance powerhouse and one of the best looking designs. Oh, and we should also not forget about the coil whine. Best of luck
  • ven98
    Options

Dolby Audio is not a big issue for me, as I prefer to communicate with my friends via skype or ts3 through the phone. My previous predator GX-791 had coil whining from the GPU and we know that powerful desktop graphics cards are very likely to have it out of the box or develop it after some time. This is not really bothering me.

What bothers me much is the CPU temps. As we talked previously this shortens the CPU's lifetime and I don't like seeing my CPU running so hot. I will definitely tweak it here and there with XTU or throttlestop and most likely, if I decide to get a hold of the laptop, I will underclock it to lower its temperatures.

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• ven98
    Options
    My GX-792 got delivered and I can say that I am quite impressed. Did game testing plus some background activities and the CPU didn't go over 92C on turbo preset(not bad). I think the temperatures will lower down when I undervolt the CPU.

Game tested Forza motorsport 6 - I use this game for CPU testing because it does quite a lot fps on 4K resolution(about 170fps without MSAA).

I also noticed some strange vibration coming out of the subwoofer and it is the same as described by other predator 17 users.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• ven98
    Options
    I did the undervolting -99.6mV and the max CPU temp I managed to record was 83C
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Robitzik
    Robitzik Member Posts: 68 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    You can even go up to -0.120mV. Good temps, hope they remain so. Kudos for the bew aquisition mate. So, other than the temps, how does yours fare till now?
  • ven98
    Options

Besides dolby audio and the subwoofer issue it holds up perfectly. The is some bleeding from the screen side but it is to be expected from IPS. It is a nice piece of machinery and I am glad I decided to stick with Acer Predator. Also I can hear coil whining from the GPU, which is not loud enough to be heard, while having sound.

For playing games longer(about 2 hours), I have noticed some high temperature spikes of about 94C for miliseconds, otherwise with average temps of 75C on GTA5 and 81C on forza horizon 3(I reset hwinfo during gameplay) on turbo preset. The fans at the back are blowing very hot air, which means the termal compound is doing its job for now and I am sure I will have to change it with thermal grizzly later.

I tried undervolting at lower than 100mv but it is not enough for turbo preset and the laptop freezes out.

I have noticed that the GTX1080 goes to pretty high clock speeds too ~ 2000Mhz. Also for some reason I don't see the CPU going higher than 3.9Ghz while gaming only on turbo preset. I guess here the GTX 1080 is the bottleneck as the CPU goes at higher clock speeds when doing other tasks or it is just the how it is designed to work.

I am satisfied with this product for now and hope that the thermal paste does not dry out soon.

Edit: I forgot that 4.3GHz is the speed for single core. Speed for 4 cores is 3.9GHz

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system