Acer predator g9 793 78cm one of two ssd's is missing in bios!

Options
Bg_lt
Bg_lt Member Posts: 8 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Best Answer

• Bg_lt
    Answer ✓
    Options

Found out where is the problem , it's bugged ssd , changed their slots physically and now another slot in bios is showing that it's empty. I'll try to use world travelers warranty. But anyway i wanted to upgrade to a bigger ssd, is "samsung sm961. 512 pci-e support nvme " is compatible? Or i need "samsung evo 960 nvme?  And will it work with that one working liteon in NON raid mode?? , i want to have two separate ssd's,  one for system, another for games

Thanks

Answers

• Bg_lt
    Options

Hello guys , i've bought the laptop few months ago in the US, and after some time one serious problem bothers me. Sometimes , and at the moment when i try to boot the laptop, it says no bootabel device, i go to bios and noticed that it sees only 1 ssd, but there must be 2 of them because they in raid. I tried to reinstall them, didnt't help. It happened once before, but suddenly it started working, went to bios , now it sees 2 ssd drives, and after few hours of surfing, it just freezed, restarted and again only one ssd in bios.

Any ideas? Warranty is not the option, cause i am in europe. Maybe i can try world travellers warranty, but maybe is there an easy solution??? Is it ssd bug or motherboard??? If it's ssd , then can i just buy one good samsung ssd and will it work? Instead of two liteons???

[inappropriate content removed]

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

update BIOS to the latest version 1.09 if it's not already updated:

http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Acer_1.09_A_A.zip?acerid=636219667474280808&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=PREDATOR&Step3=PREDATOR%20G9-793&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

if you are still facing the issue even with BIOS update, traveler warranty is the only way to fix it.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Bg_lt
    Options

Thanks for an answer, Somehow it started after my post, first thing i did is updated bios, no problems till now , if that issuue happens again i'll let you know.  But i have one question , can i buy one big ssd and use it instead of   2 in raid??? Or i need 2 of ssd's to keep it running because of bios raid non changable option?  And can i have 2 separate ssd disks in non raid mode somehow?maybe legacy mode? I dont like raid, because if one of 2 disks are dead i can loose all data, and advantage of speed doesn't covers the loss.  Thanks

• IronFly
    Options

1) don't choose Legacy

2) yes you can use 1 big SSD without having the RAID array

3) probably you can destroy the RAID 0 using iRST cli but you will need to re-install windows 10

• Bg_lt
    Options

Bios update didnt help, was playing doom, freezed , restarted and no bootable device. Smiley Sad( hope it is ssd bug

[inappropriate content removed]

• Bg_lt
    Options
    Bios update didnt help, was playing doom ,freezed restarted and no bootable device.
  • Bg_lt
    Answer ✓
    Options

Found out where is the problem , it's bugged ssd , changed their slots physically and now another slot in bios is showing that it's empty. I'll try to use world travelers warranty. But anyway i wanted to upgrade to a bigger ssd, is "samsung sm961. 512 pci-e support nvme " is compatible? Or i need "samsung evo 960 nvme?  And will it work with that one working liteon in NON raid mode?? , i want to have two separate ssd's,  one for system, another for games

Thanks

• IronFly
    Options

About Samsung ocmpatibility, i don't know.

About RAID, if you don't select to create an array, iRST will not automatically create one; be aware of recovery or RAID request from iRST software, by the way.

• Bg_lt
    Options

Thanks for an answer, somewhere in the forums i found out that sm961 is supported , as it is pci e drive. And if system will need raid, so be it, i'll buy another sm961.  In a few weeks maybe later maybe earlier i'll keep ya informed where the rabbit hole goesSmiley Happy 

• Bg_lt
    Options

Update -  for now i dont have possibility to buy new ssd to test will it work with this machine (travelling), i have some update, about system.  

When the pc was on, i tried to make system disk image several times, and it couldn't do it after 3 %, it just freezed, and then again no bootable device, then some time standing cool and working again. So I put out physically that one bugged SSD(just in case of that i might install WIN on bugged disk, because capacity is the same)), destroyed raid (VUOLIA), made new installation of windows on a single healthy disk. - and i don't know - i have a feeling that windows and sofware is loading FASTER without RAID. Then i installed(put in) that bugged disk again. It works, but HDSentinel shows health is 98%, says something about drive tried to reallocate some sectors two times and now it's ok, shows that it's excelent and no warranty till now only if health will drop further.  And I think, that'ts why BIOS was missing it, one is healthy 100% , another 98%, and system RAID just couldn't understand what was happening when reallocation occured and was turning it off somehow, maybe because of losing some raid array sectors(Intel must do smth with that) . But anyway, everything works fine without RAID, in some time i will install a game on that bad disk and will see what will be happening. 

And by the way, i saw AHCI drivers in drivers section on acer website for this laptop. So maybe we'll have new bios update soon, or maybe it works without changing bios settings. Maybe somebody tried???