Acer Predator Helios 300 - Premiere Pro Editing

Options
jeffray87
jeffray87 Member Posts: 5 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

Hi All,

I just bought Acer Predator Helios  300 a week back for video editing using Premiere Pro 2017 CC. The specs are 
i7-7700HQ Processor1
NVIDIA®GeForce® GTX 10601
Windows 10 Home
16 GB Ram 
256 SSD + 1 TB HDD.

But Premiere pro gets stuck and there is a lot of lag in video playback while editing.

Also I have noticed that the disk% in the task manager is always 0%.  I am not sure why.
Any advice or suggestion to improve this will help me a lot..

Thanks,
Jeffray

Answers

• Flx
    Flx Member Posts: 466 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

Have you updated your BIOS and intel/nvidia drivers?

• jeffray87
    Options

Hi Flx, 

No. I have not updated the Bios and intel/nvidia drivers. ? Should I do that. 

Thanks,

Jeffray.

• Flx
    Options

Yes I would start there, make sure you have auto driver updates disabled first. Here are the steps if you are unsure:

1. Press "Windows Key" + "Pause Break" key

2. A window will open, look to the left hand side and click on "Advanced System Settings"

3. Another window will open, click on the "Hardware" tab

4. On the "Hardware" tab look for "Device Installation Settings" and click on that

5. One more window will open, tick the circle next to "No" and then "Save Changes" at the bottom

• jeffray87
    Options

Hi Flx,

Thanks a ton for your instant response. Will try this out and will update you. 

Thanks Again,

Jeffray

• Flx
    Options

You're welcome! Make sure to do a full restart after installing the last thing. Will look for your update

• jeffray87
    Options

Hi Flx,

wanted to check with you on which intel/nvidia divers should i update as i see there are a few..

SATA AHCI Driver

Chipset Driver (Kabylake)

Turbo Boost

VGA Driver(nvidia)

VGA Driver(intel)

Sorry I am new to such terminologies..

Thanks,

Jeffray

• Flx
    Options

You want the VGA (Intel) driver only. I would go to nvidia site and get their latest driver also (http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/123221/en-us) there is the download link.

• jeffray87
    Options

Hi Flx,

Thanks for the links.. I have updated the drivers but unfortunately it does not help much..the Premiere pro still hangs.. I am not sure if this is a software issue or laptop issue..

What would be your suggestion.

Thanks

Jeffray

• Flx
    Options

Well that is unfortunate sorry to hear, it could be the program itself yes. Have you tried reinstalling premiere? Also does it hang on any other programs or just that one

• DFMU
    DFMU Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    jeffray87 - Have you found a solution to your problem? I'm having similar issues. I'm going to try edit with proxies and see if that makes a difference with playback and rendering as most of my footage I'm editing from is on external hdd. 
  • robbie555
    robbie555 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    jeffray87 said:

Hi All,

I just bought Acer Predator Helios  300 a week back for video editing using Premiere Pro 2017 CC. The specs are 
    i7-7700HQ Processor1
    NVIDIA®GeForce® GTX 10601
    Windows 10 Home
    16 GB Ram 
    256 SSD + 1 TB HDD.

But Premiere pro gets stuck and there is a lot of lag in video playback while editing.

Also I have noticed that the disk% in the task manager is always 0%.  I am not sure why.
    Any advice or suggestion to improve this will help me a lot..

Thanks,
    Jeffray

I have the identical machine and the same problems...lagging, black outs , crashes...did you get rid of it?
  • robbie555
    robbie555 Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I bought an Acer Predator Helios 300 ...i7700/GTX 1060/32 Ram/500SSD...etc etc and i noticed other people with the same machine issues i have...Hangs, crashes in premier pro...Updated all the video drivers, updated windows, re- installed Premier Pro..cleaned out the cache and other temp files, have 32 gigs system ram, laptop cooler, have put the source video files hard disk SSD into the 2 hd bay, set the video card for maximum performance....Issues issues issues...Called Adobe, Nvidia, Acer...no one can figure what's going on....Must be something up with the machine....I'm furious...because I am wasted so much time on the phone with CS people ....Yeah i could try to use proxie files - but to grade i have to grade the source files....and the viewer hangs...or the audio plays and the video hangs and goes black. or you move the color sliders in Lumetri panel (for color grading) and nothing happens....What a collosal waste of time and money....Maybe these machines have some issues with Adobe products..or crappy adobe software..If i can't find solution will have to get rid of the laptop...a real shame..otherwise the machine is a bargain...but if it can't do what i need...?
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited July 2019
    Options
    How are your temps before crashing ? have you identified the crash errors ? any bsods ? also robbie555 this thread is really old and if someone found the solution they didnt posted it i suggest you to PM all the users that had the issue directly to see if you would get an answer from anyone of them 

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• rodvalle7
    rodvalle7 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I have the same problem with my Helios 300, did anyone find the solution?