Acer G9 (593) HOT CPU

Options
HrSoegaard
HrSoegaard Member Posts: 12 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

Hi.

Just got a Predator 15 G9-593 with i7 7700HQ - GTX 1070 ect.

Under BF1 the GPU is very cold like 55 but the cpu is hitting 90 and 97, but cpu are still running 3.5/3.8Ghz.

I do not like the hot cpu. Shall I put some new thermal paste on it, and is there a video so i can see how to do it?

I will hate sending it back, i really love everthing about it.

What do you guys think?

Best Answer

• Daedronus
    Daedronus Member Posts: 78 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options

There is verry little point not to undervolt it a bit, you lose no performance at all, you also should get a bit more battery life.

- 0,120 is a verry prudent ammount for 6700hq, the stability shout not be affected at all.

Answers

• Daedronus
    Options

They use verry bad paste, I changed mine and it helped a lot.

If you think you can manage to repaste it go for it, there is a dissasembly video but without the heatsinks, however, if you get to the heatsinks, removing them is very easy.

• HrSoegaard
    Options

Perfect.

I have seen the video and think i can manage to take of the back cover and unscrew the heatsink and put some new paste on it. I have some grizzly thermal paste i will put on. The GPU is very cool and never get over 60 in BF1 but the CPU is very bad. I will try repaste it and see. Thanks. Smiley Happy

• Daedronus
    Options

grizzly is supposed to be great, I only used some artic mx2 and still shaved off about 20 degrees when stressing the cpu with prime 95

• HrSoegaard
    Options

Great then I try that.

But what i like is that even when the cpu hit 97, there is no cpu throttling, but some core just hit 76 but the other 85 to 97.

I will post something when I repaste. Smiley Wink thx.

[inappropriate content removed]

• netrom
    netrom Member Posts: 10 New User
    Options

I had the same problems. I solved the issue in two stages.

1: Repaste. Arctic Silver 5

2: Lowered the core voltage by 0,120 v(Intel Extreme Tuning Utility)

Result?

Seperate test

CPU temps from low 90's to low 50's (Prime 95)

GPU tems from low 80's to low 50's (Furmark)

Stressing both CPU and GPU at the same time(Furmark + Prime 95)

CPU from 95 to 60

GPU from 90 to 65

Repasting alone gave - minus 20, reduced voltage the rest.

• HrSoegaard
    Options

http://imgur.com/a/ZUKPE

Take a look at this.

I remove the old pasta and put on some new thermal.

In BF1 when the cpu hit 87-95, now i see it in 70-73 its awesome.

Prime95 maks temp is 78 i love it. Smiley Happy

The GPU is still cool, around 58 in BF1.

All the temp are with normal fan speed, no max so that great. Thanks for the help. Smiley Happy

• netrom
    netrom Member Posts: 10 New User
    Options

Nice work. Undervolting the CPU will probaly reduce the temperatures even further.

• HrSoegaard
    Options

Thansk.

Im fine with temp under 80. Smiley Wink

• Daedronus
    Answer ✓
    Options

There is verry little point not to undervolt it a bit, you lose no performance at all, you also should get a bit more battery life.

- 0,120 is a verry prudent ammount for 6700hq, the stability shout not be affected at all.

• HrSoegaard
    Options

Well, then i should try it. Smiley Wink

• HrSoegaard
    Options

you right.

just got i 0,120 volt under and drop 5 degress in BF1 and prime95. thats great. Smiley Wink Love this machine. Smiley Very Happy

• vorob
    vorob Member Posts: 149 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    Hi, you never faced a problem when intel xtu stuck on your down-voltage as default and won't allow to apply your profile, I had to use bat file:

http://community.acer.com/t5/Predator-Laptops/Downvoltage-via-Intel-XTU-software-forgets-its-values/td-p/483343
  • xen0s
    xen0s Member Posts: 9 New User
    Options

Would changing the thermal paste void the warranty? I see no stickers on the back of the laptop and also the teardown videos showed nothing whatsoever that would indicate that the warranty would be voided.

• vorob
    vorob Member Posts: 149 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    Nope. Just be careful there, and that's it.
  • helganin
    helganin Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

My predator from the purchase was twice in the repair. They exchanged the motherboard twice. Temperatures 97-101 now after two days are supposed to be max 85. I would like to exchange the paste but you can not :/ because the guarantees are lost.
    They advertised great cooling, interesting where it is because certainly not in this laptop :/
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,170 Trailblazer
    Options
    helganin said:

My predator from the purchase was twice in the repair. They exchanged the motherboard twice. Temperatures 97-101 now after two days are supposed to be max 85. I would like to exchange the paste but you can not :/ because the guarantees are lost.
    They advertised great cooling, interesting where it is because certainly not in this laptop :/
    Hi,
    If you don't want to repaste due to warranty restrictions, why not undervolt it and see whether it reduces the temps? It's safe and will not impact the performance.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/
  • helganin
    Options
    The first one wants to test the laptop if it's ok. Then I will reduce the tension and probably put a paste. Service in poland is embarrassing, since the purchase immediately two repairs. The laptop is quite expensive and immediately the service: / and I could buy something MSI: P I asked the service if I could apply the paste myself and I got the answer that it is not because I lose the warranty, and they put some cheap ***** into an expensive laptop.
  • helganin
    Options
    Well, the temperatures returned after repair to normal: / Twice it has been serviced already.