Predator X34 backlight issues resuming from sleep

xijio
xijio Member Posts: 4 New User

I just got my Acer Predator X34 yesterday and I'm loving it except for one pretty ugly issue Smiley Sad.

When my computer resumes from sleep, only the left side of the screen's backlight turns on.  I have to either switch display settings (eg to hdmi and back to displayport) or turn the monitor off and on again to get the whole backlight to turn on.

Here isa video of the issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE06RIN1kK0

I am running Windows 10 with GTX 980's in SLI.  Both the X34 and my other monitor (XB280HK) are running on displayport connectins hooked up to the primary video card.

Is this a known issue?  Is there a workaround?

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

has the driver been updated recently? Try rolling back to the last driver and see if it makes a difference.

• xijio

I downloaded the official driver for the monitor from the acer site and installed it.  Acer didn't bother doing driver signing, so you have to reboot Windows into a mode that allows for installing unsigned drivers.  I haven't seen this issue since the update (but my computer has only slept once and it wasn't happening 100% of the time before either).  Will update if this fixed it longer term.

• funfordcobra
    funfordcobra Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Everyone is experiencing this issue that has purchased the monitor on Overclock.net.  It can vary where and how. For some, they are getting flickering @ desktop @100hz also after sleep 1/2 the monitor backlight fails to come on unless yoiu adjust the OSD menu.

Please release a fix that doesnt require us to send our monitors in AGAIN for a firmware update. If this is the case, im happy to just get my money back and wait for the asus 3340x1440 since QC was not tested at all for the acer.

• Stangs55
    Stangs55 Member Posts: 6 New User

Same problem here along with a BUNCH of others detailed here; http://community.acer.com/t5/Predator-Discussions/MULTIPLE-Problems-with-New-X34/m-p/390434#M1137

• funfordcobra
    funfordcobra Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

Hi all,

I've sent some messages off today asking for a review of these issues. I appreciate the video's as it clearly shows the issue.

I'll update early in the week as I get additional information.

Cory

• Bit89
    Bit89 Member Posts: 1 New User

I'm having the same issues and funfordcobra is.  When I turn mine on (after it's been off for a while) the right side is off (GSync logo is barely visable).  Once the pc loads this bios the right side of the monitor turns on. 

Thanks.

• heyguyslol
    heyguyslol Member Posts: 1 New User

I normally just sleep my system and monitor which I have had NO issues with on my x34 waking up with only half a back lit screen as others have been reporting but I did what was suggested and shut down both my system and monitor over night.

I booted up the monitor first and then my system (as I can't do them simultaneously being that they are too far apart) when the monitor booted up the right half of the screen back light was off (dark) as others have reported but as soon as my system went to POST (not into Windows) the fullscreen lit up normally with no issues. Booting into Windows was as it should be, a fully lit beautiful screen no issues. During normal Windows tasks & Games no issues.

I currently have no plans to rma my unit.

• Cory-Acer

Hi All,

I just want to update everyone that there are a lot of moving parts internally on this issue. I can assure you that there is a great sense of urgency in getting a resolution out to everyone as quick as possible. I know everyone wants an ETA, and while I don't anything to share, we're pushing to make sure we have a meaningful update no later than Wednesday.

Thanks,
    Cory

• xijio

Cory,

Thanks for keeping us up-to-date.  As you can imagine we're all super excited to have these awesome new mointors and we're really hoping Acer does the right thing here!   I know you guys are working your butts off and if there is anything I can do to help, let me know.  I'm happy to walk through any repro steps necessary or beta test any firmware changes to help out.  I work in the software business so I know how these things go!

Let me know if there is any way I can assist further.

Thanks,

Marshall

• JakeSH
    JakeSH Member Posts: 1 New User

I am happy with mine it seems to be a great monitor but the back light thing is a little alarming to me. I am really torn over keeping it right now. For the cost of this item I don’t want it to end up being a really pretty/expensive paper weight.2015-10-20 13.29.13.jpg

• Yenraf
    Yenraf Member Posts: 1 New User

Just received my x34 today from the batch released on Newegg on 10/19.  Everything is perfect (almost no blb, no coil whine, no flickering etc...) except that I am experiencing the right side not lighting up after starting my PC up.  Add me to the list on this one.

• Zanchito
    Zanchito Member Posts: 2 New User

I think my monitor has the same issue with the right side, but I can't quite tell without an image of hos should it look exactly. Other than that, the monitor is working fine, so unless it's a serious problem that may affect the monitor life or quality, I'd rather not exchange it.

• Cory-Acer

@Zanchito

I would take a look at the video's funfordcobra and stangs55 have provided to better understand the issue being discussed. My understanding is that the monitor does not display further issues once the screen is power cycled.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m0NeUNG42A

Also, I'm going to lock this thread, as I'd like to keep conversation of the X34 in 1 thread pertaining to this issue and we're getting more traffic to the other one. Please post a followup in this one. http://community.acer.com/t5/Predator-Discussions/MULTIPLE-Problems-with-New-X34/m-p/390434

Thanks,
    Cory