My GTX 770 wont boot

Options
Hitboxer
Hitboxer Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi! I recently upgraded my Acer predator G3120 with a new Grapich card ( Gigabyte GTX 770 ) and a new power supply with 750 watt.
When I connect my Grapich card to the Moderboard the computer starts normally but when I get the screen where I entre BIOS and Display menu it randomly stop and wont boot anymore.. but if I replace the new Grapich card with my old GTX 550TI is works as it should.

Im currently sitting on a  rs880pm-am Motherboard.
So im wondering is it my motherboard who cant drive this Card or is it any other problems, like I might have an to old BIOS version, I've googled and found a newer version for BIOS on acers website but I cant flash in when Im inside BIOS because im lost in this BIOS menu cant find the right place where I flash it..

Please help me! 

Answers

• Scytheus2
    Scytheus2 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

The gtx 700 series are PCI-Express 3.0, and your mobo is a PCI-Express 2.0. 

I'm currently at the same point as you with identical GPU/Mobo. Now I'm looking at another upgrade to make it all work.

EDIT: PCI-E 3.0 cards like the GTX 700 series are in fact backward compatible with PCI-E 2.0 boards. I'm still Unsure what the problem is, I've been told it may be an issue with secure boot being enabled in the bios but I've yet to confirm this.

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder
    Options

Just to add, you flash the BIOS from within Windows. Plus, as Scytheus2 said PCIe 3.0 is backwards compatible with 2.0.

Can you test the card out in a different PC, just to confirm it is working?

• nicoma
    nicoma Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Have same problem and latest bios upgraded here.

I can confirm the card is okay.

I need a modified bios for the GTX770 card please.

Best regards

nicoma

• jrich111
    jrich111 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Here is the answer, acer motherboards have been incompatible with the gtx 700 series and now 900 series cards, definitly an answer here.  I would say if you have gateway fx computer or acer predator with windows 7 you can definitly forget running 700 series or 900 series cards.  Maybe the newest acer computers with windows 8 or above will be compatible possibly but I would check with acer first.  

I own a gateway fx6860-ur10p with windows 7 64 big. i7 3770 processor, 2tb hd, 12 gig ram, 750 watt powersupply.  This gateway computer has an acer motherboard as acer owns gateway.  This computer will not take any gtx 700 series card, computer will not boot and it will also not take gtx 970 evga sc acx 2.0 card i recently bought, will not boot. 

I purchased an hp envy phoneix computer with windows 8 and gtx 680 card in it and pulled the gtx 680 out and put the gtx 970 evga sc acx 2.0 in and the hp booted right up with no problem and is running fine in my new computer. 

Hate to tell people they need a new computer to run the newest graphics cards but if you got an acer computer with win 7 and a 600 series card or below, well i think your just not going have any luck upgrading your graphics card.