MULTIPLE Problems with New X34

Stangs55
Stangs55 Member Posts: 6 New User

So I've been active over in the overclock.net forums concerning the numerous issues I'm having with my X34.

Long story short, I'm returning this thing to Newegg and awaiting delivery of another one. But I figured I would at least come here as it has the highest liklihood of getting back to somebody that cares at Acer. I called their tech support to let them know about the issues, but when the 2 year old Indian robot on the other end kept referring to refresh rate as resolution, I decided I couldn't take it anymore.

So I took delivery of the monitor yesterday and it initially worked well...but the longer it's stayed on, the more problems it's developed.

My system is one I built a year or so ago and has been working flawlessly with my Dell 3008WFP. Video card is a brand new MSI 980 Ti Lightning. OS is Windows 10 x64. PSU is a 750W Corsair. 16Gb DDR3 RAM.

I have even done a COMPLETELY fresh install of Windows 10 on this computer to try and fix these problems. Didn't work. I've unplugged/replugged everything inside my computer including RAM and the GPU. Didn't work.

And yes, G-sync is enabled in the NVCP. And yes, I've manually adjusted refresh rates in the NVCP to correlate with the manual settings on the monitor.

Problem#1: Menu Not Saving Settings

- Not sure what the issue was here. But for about 3 hours yesterday, my monitor would not save the settings for overlocking the refresh rate. I would go into the menu...enable the overlock...set it at 100Hz....select 'Apply and reboot'. Then (here's the interesting thing I believe in retrospect), the screen would flash multiple colors several times and reboot. I assumed this color flashing was normal...but there was never the Predator Logo when it was rebooting. The desktop eventually came back up and I could select 100Hz in my NVCP...but when you went back into the menu settings, Overclock was set back to Off with the refresh rate at default. Nothing I did would fix this including reseting the monitor and unplugging it. Eventually...I unplugeed the monitor for 30 minutes and when I plugged it back in, it would now save my overclock settings. But interestingly now, when I selected 'Apply and Reboot', it would show the Predator logo when rebooting....this logo didn't appear previously.

Problem #2: Screen Flickering

- See a video of this issue HERE

- This one has developed in front of my eyes. After initial setup of the monitor, it worked fine. No flickering, no issues. But as I was sitting at the dinner table last night, I started to see the monitor flickering intermittently in the other room. Watching the screen, it was flickering about 4 or 5 times a minute. Over the next hour, this progressed to 30-40 times a minute. And eventually developed into constant flicker. BUT, this flickering only occurs when I'm viewing the desktop at 100Hz. It happens occasionally in games, but not constant like this.

I initially thought I had a bad DP cable since I was using one from Amazon, so I swapped it for the Acer included cable. Nope...issue persists. I even inserted my previous EVGA 780 TI...but the flickering happens there too.

I then thought it was a driver problem, so I did a clean install of the previous nVdiia drivers. Nope. Then did a clean install of the latest WHQL nVidia drivers. Nope.

Then I saw on here that you can download the monitor drivers directly from Acer. So I did an install of this guy as an unsigned driver. Nope. 

After all this, the problem persists.

Weird thing about this one is that it didn't exists when I first got the monitor but has progressively worsened since I've had it.

Other weird thing is that if I have a window open, then it doesn't flicker...minimize the window, and it comes back. This is actually what made me think it was a driver issue, but as you can see above, I think I ruled that out that fully.

Also, if I set my refresh rate to 95Hz or below, the problem doesn't happen. (This is actually how I'm working now).

- UPDATE: The issue actually started right after running i1Profiler to calibrate the display multiple times back to back. I can't imagine how, but could the quick swapping of multiple full screen colors have damaged the electronics somehow? Or is it just a weird coincidence?

- UPDATE #2: It was suggested that ADC may be causing the problem as it has caused issues with previous Acer monitors. So I completely removed i1Profiler and reset my .icc profile to the default. I also think that I figured out how to do a factory reset of the monitor--if you hold down the first and fifth buttons, the monitor reboots and all settings are factory default. Anyways, did this too and the flickering still persists...

Problem #3: Horrific Backlight Bleeding

Do I need to type anything here? Allow some pictures to speak for themselves...

IMG_0305.JPG

IMG_0307.JPG

Problem #4: Portions of the Monitor Not Turning On

This has been described elsewhere, so I won't detail it here. But yes, I have the same problem. Below is a representative picture of my monitor when the issue has popped up.

IMG_0311.JPG

All in all, I'm incredibly disappointed, although I can't say I'm surprised. I mean, we're dealing with Acer here guys...Not exactly known for high end products. You can put lipstick on a pig...

So are there any more ideas or suggestions out there?

Until then...I'll wait until my new X34 gets here from Newegg to see if I've won the Acer lottery there...

Answers

• funfordcobra
    funfordcobra Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

to back you up heres my video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m0NeUNG42A

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

Hi stangs55,

Thank you for the well put together description. I've sent emails out this weekend bringing attention to these issues. I hope to have some information to share early in the week.

Cory

• Stangs55

Thanks Cory....

We'll anxiously await to hear back from you...

• funfordcobra
    funfordcobra Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

I'd say that out of 20 people that have received their monitors that have posted over on Overclock.net, 50% of them are having a bad issue.

• Stangs55

So I've been trying to think back about my flickering problem and I may or may not have realized something important...of course it could also just be a weird coincidence...

The screen flickering started immediately after I had run the i1Display Pro i1Profiler multiple times to calibrate the display. I had run probably 10 different tests all with the large patch setting (more colors tested) and automatic display calibration set to on. This program will bacially display a bunch of different colors on the screen while the hardware takes measurements. Maybe the quick swapping of full screen colors damaged the electronics somehow? I know it's a stretch, but that when the issues started....just trying to think of anything that could help...

I'll update the post above with this.

• brighttail
    brighttail Member Posts: 39 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

When it comes to backlight bleed, I was reading the TFT Central review here: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_predator_x34.htm

They claim that the "blacklight bleed" is actually IPS glow and people may confuse the two.

I'm also wondering if anyone here actually has the x34 and have had zero issues?

I'm getting mine directly from Acer here in Canada Tuesday or Wednesday.  I'll update when I have played around with it.

• Cory-Acer

All,

As I mentioned in the other thread, pieces are moving...quickly. We understand there is urgency on everyone's part, including ours to get to a resolution quickly. We're pushing to have a meaningful update no later than Wednesday.

Thanks,
    Cory

• brighttail

Hello there,

Just got mine today and had an issue that no one has really talked about.   My issue is upon restarting the computer.   The computer would come up into windows and look fine. About 20 seconds, the time that it takes to start the Nvidia drivers. The screen would flash as if resizing or changing refresh rate then go black with an amber light.   Going into safe mode or BIOS everything is fine.  I even uninstalled the video drivers and I could get into windows 10 with no issues, but the moment I reinstalled the driver and restarted the same issue would happen again.  I even tried a couple of older drivers with the same issue.

I then connected the HDMI cable with the monitor still black and in Win 10 and changed the input.  I could see a picture!  I switched it to DP and I could see the picture!  I then tried to OC the monitor and restart everything and had to go through this process of changing the input a couple times before I was up in WIN 10 using DP and at 100hz.  In fact any time I turn off the monitor I have to go through this.

I have called Customer support and have an open case so they are looking into this but it is a problem I haven't seen reported.  I have seen people using the Input to clear the little black bar but not for this reason.  

It is obvious it has something to do with the display driver.  I know that I couldn't even get this far until I enabled my SLI which makes sense since I have two GTX 980s which would struggle at 4k at 60hz, but then I read people were able to view it using a 770 GTX, so I'm not really sure anymore. 

I definitely do not think it is a monitor issue as it does work...eventually. 

As for the other issues that folks have been talking about, I have none of those issues and I really can't even notice an IPS glow.

• Cory-Acer

Hi brighttail,

The support team also informed me of your issue yesterday. I read through their notes and yours and I see references to 4k. The X34 has a max resolution of 344x1440 which is basically WQHD in a 21:9 format. It does not support 4k, which is 3860x2160 in a traditional widescreen 16:9 format.

Is it possible that you're set above the maximum supported resolution and that's causing the black screens? I'd like to see if we can get you to 3440x1440 @ 60hz and then you can work on overclocking to 100hz.

Thanks,
    Cory

• Vandragorax
    Vandragorax Member Posts: 124 Die Hard WiFi Icon

I'm due to be receiving my X34 as soon as UK stock arrives (currently estimated this Friday 23rd) so I am keenly watching issues like this and hoping that I don't find anything wrong with my monitor when it finally arrives.

I've had this thing on pre-order for 4 months and spending almost £1k so to say I would be severely disappointed to experience any problems at all is a massive understatement!

I'm glad to see threads like this where Acer are looking into the issues and potentially delaying UK stock until they are resolved.  I just made an account to say thanks Cory for supporting your customers here, and I will be watching this discussion as you are able to provide more information going forward Smiley Happy

• Cory-Acer

Hi all,

I'd like to see if I could ask for some information. If you would, please send me a private message with the Serial Number of your monitor. Also, can you tell me about your basic configuration of the desktop it's connected to and what kind of monitor setup it's in (by itself, dual screened, etc....

Thanks,
    Cory

• Stangs55

Thanks for the help, Cory. 

Email sent.

• brighttail

I will check into this with a new reboot and ensure that the resolution is as you stated.  I have had no issues just turning off the monitor and turning it back on as I normally keep the computer on round the clock.   I did notice a couple of settings you could chose from. I'll let you know.

I just restarted the computer and the screen blinks and fluxuates as the drivers are being loaded up in Windows.  The monitor came up but when I went to the NVidia control panel, I noticed that there was a "custom" resolution.  It was the right dimentions with 1440 but it listed as the HZ of 59 with no option to chnge it. 

I had the option to choose the "native" resolution which included the 100Hz setting and all was fine after I applied the changes.  Interestingly enough once I applied the settings the custom setting was gone and no longer an option.  I have never set up a custom resolution and after a couple reboots this has continued.  Restart > it sets to a custom resolution at 59hz > i change it to the 100hz and apply it > the monitor is fine but the custom resolution is gone.   I have reinstalled the driver and same thing is happening.  Not sure why.

Overall it is not a HUGE issue, I have to simply change the setting after a reboot, but it is weird that it is bringing up a custom resolution setting that no one has ever created.

• Vandragorax

@brighttail - at least your issue sounds like an NVIDIA driver problem rather than a problem with the X34 itself.

Are you using the latest drivers from NVIDIA (which version drivers are you running)?  And what GPU have you got?  Smiley Happy

• brighttail

Yeah I'm using the latest version from Nvidia, you have to use the Geforce Experience now to get the latest drivers it seems.  My video cards are two Asus GTX 980 in SLI.  That is another thing, when I installed the drivers, I had to make sure i turned ON SLI cause one 980 was powerful enough for 60Hz but not 100Hz obviously. Smiley Happy

At 100Hz I have been able to play all my games at max settings using these two cards in SLI. 

On a side note, Linues put up his review of the monitor on Vessel.  Not unexpectantly it is his favourite monitor now as it should be.   I'm wondering if one of the reasons I'm having so few issues is like him, I got mine directly from Acer, so less overall shipping.  I am suspecting that the black blobs peopel are seeing is from it being banged around during shipping as I have seen similar blobs on a monitor my cat knocked over a few years back.

• Vandragorax

A lot of people who seem to be having issues with this monitor so far are using SLI and I'm wondering if that's not half of the problem.  Have you tried running with just one of your 980's in your machine and the other removed from the motherboard?  (don't worry about only one card 'powering 100hz' as it will be fine, you just might not actually hit 100fps in some games).

Cheap couriers could very well be an issue especially if the monitors are being shipped around the whole world before their final destination.  A more 'mainstream' brand perhaps has a better contract with shipping/handling couriers who will have better processes in place for global parcel care - although that's just speculation.  (I have no idea where Acer as a company cut their costs, but probably in as many places as possible Smiley Tongue)

• brighttail

Well two things:

First, my computer is water cooled so taking out one card is simply not an option. Smiley Happy

Second: With SLI off I could view it at 60 Hz no issues, coudln't get it higher than that.

At this point the computer is restarting with that ghost 'custom' profile in the Nvidia control panel. I have to switch it over to the native profile and it works fine.

• Stangs55

No SLI here...and I've got all those lovely problems in the first post...

• Vandragorax

Well Stangs55 your issues are clearly caused by the monitor build quality itself, evident in the pictures, whereas brighttail's issues appear to be related to the NVIDIA drivers/control panel and possibly SLI'd cards Smiley Happy

It sucks a little that you can't easily remove one card for testing purposes, can't you even just pop it out of the PCI-e slot but leave it resting on the top of the slot? (and disconnect the SLI of course).  I've got a hybrid GPU myself and although it's a little bit of a pain, I can pop it out of the slot by a few cm pretty easily.

I would guess that Acer needs to work with NVIDIA on that issue and resolve some driver problem, but at least you have a workaround for now to get to 100hz with your SLI so maybe just wait it out Smiley Happy

I'm still waiting to hear about UK stock due this Friday, and whether there's any more delay.  I'll surely make a new thread here with my experience (good or bad) once it finally does arrive.

• brighttail

About the best I could do is to disconnect the power and the sli bridge.  It has hard acrilic between the two cards so I dont want to chance pulling one slightly out since I hat to insert both at the same time.  I went into the displays in the registry and there are like 12 settings in there, probably from my old asus ROG swift running at 144, the HDMI connect, a second Asus monitor i had hooked up as a secondary monitor and then this acer one. 

What I may do is wait until i get my Samsung 950pro m.2 SSD in a week or so.  I'll be doing a full format and reinstall and we'll see if the phantom resolution/profile keeps coming up then.  For all I know it is a registry issue.  Either way I dont' think it is the monitor.  Nvidia just released a new video driver today btw. 

Go into your gforce experience and have it down load there, I have heard reports it has fixed some issues.