recovery CD freezes at 5%

mark72450
mark72450 Member Posts: 11 New User

I have a Acer Aspire 5551-4200 that I droped and replaced the Hard drive and had to order the recovery CD's and it gets to 5% and freezes every time it always freezes at Z:\IMAGES\POP0109L0OX00C0115.SWM Can anyone help please.

Best Answer

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator
    Answer ✓

Hi Guys,

I asked our software team about this issue. There are 100% confident that there is not issue with the image. The image has been available for 4 years now and they validated the image sucessfully. I don't think that it's the recovery media itself as both copies have stopped in the same place.

A couple suggestions would be, make sure that everything is unplugged. We've seen printers among other things causing issues with recovery.

Secondly, make sure that the new HDD is partitioned into 1 partition. If that doesn't work, remove all partitions and try that.

Finally, there may be a bigger hardware issue with the MB or the connection from the MB to the HDD causing the issue.

Hope this helps,
    Cory

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,463 Trailblazer

Try pressing ALT + HOME keys to minimize the installation screen. There may be another screen hidden behind it waiting for a response from you.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mark72450

I hit ALT+ Home and nothing happens.

• JackE

Can you get any response from the keyboard or mouse? For example, does CTRL-ALT-DEL reboot the system? Also, check the boot sequence in your bios. Try making the CD/DVD drive first in the boot order. Report back.

Thanks

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mark72450

I am Booting on the CD rom. The Mouse moves but there is nothing to click on. and nothing with the key board. I ordered a new set of Recovery CD's from Acer and got them today and thay do the same thing.

• JackE

Does the bios recognize the new HD OK?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mark72450

I think so. I press f12 move down to CD ROM hit Enter the CD starts running and copying files up to the Z:\POP0109LO0X00C0115.SWN and get 44-60% done with that file and 5% over all.

• JackE

OK. Try this next. When the Acer logo appears on booting, keep tapping the F2 key till the bios menu appears. Check to make sure the new HD has been properly introduced to and recognized by the bios and its menu. Go to the advanced boot section of the bios menu and set the CD/DVD drive as the primary boot drive. Press F10 to save the settings and then exit the bios menu and save setting with the CD/DVD recovery disk inserted. Report back with results.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mark72450

So ok the bio show the right model and serial number of the new HD. I changed the CD ROM as the pri and it started to boot and got to the same place and stop. no change

• JackE

OK. I'll next guess that for some reason you're CD/DVD drive is having trouble reading these recovery disks. Possibly dust or dirt on the drive LED or sensor.

So try this on the CD/DVD drive. Eject the disk. Keep the drive door open and its tray out. Power down the machine. Remove the battery & charger. Put the intake of a vacuum cleaner near the air exhaust port. Also blow air on and around the drive tray and inside the door.

Also, inspect the disks for smudges. Clean them with windex or distilled water ---- something that won't leave a residue.

Try the recovery again.

Jack E/NJ      

Jack E/NJ

• mark72450

Did all of that with no change. stopped in the same spot.

• JackE

>>>Z:\IMAGES\POP0109L0OX00C0115.SWM >>>

>>>Z:\POP0109LO0X00C0115.SWN >>>

Not exactly the same spot unless this was a 'typo'? Assuming it was a typo, can you check the recovery disks for errors on another machine?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mark72450

It was a typo how do i do that? and will it mess up my other computor?

• JackE

I'm sorry! I didn't mean to try to install the recovery disk on another computer. I meant to check the integrity of the disk with chkdsk or scandisk or some other disk integrity scanner. 

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mark72450

oh sorry. It said it is a RAW drive and scandisk well not scan RAW drives.

• mark72450

But I have tryed two deferant sets of recovery CD's

• JackE

Yes, from your description, it seems more like a problem with the recovery disks than your machine since the two sets stop at the same place. There are a few ways we can try to get around this problem. The easiest is to see if you can make a USB boot recovery drive from the CD/DVD recovery disk raw/iso image using the Microsoft DVD USB download tool. Try to follow this video  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0r5p8nCrp8 and report back.

Thanks

Jack E/NJ    

Jack E/NJ

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator
    Answer ✓

Hi Guys,

I asked our software team about this issue. There are 100% confident that there is not issue with the image. The image has been available for 4 years now and they validated the image sucessfully. I don't think that it's the recovery media itself as both copies have stopped in the same place.

A couple suggestions would be, make sure that everything is unplugged. We've seen printers among other things causing issues with recovery.

Secondly, make sure that the new HDD is partitioned into 1 partition. If that doesn't work, remove all partitions and try that.

Finally, there may be a bigger hardware issue with the MB or the connection from the MB to the HDD causing the issue.

Hope this helps,
    Cory

• JackE

Thanks Cory. Hope we hear from Mark on your suggestion.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mark72450

Thank you all for your help. there was nothing pluged in to the Laptop and I checked all the ribons form the mother board to the hard drive checked the partions on the HD and nothing so it must be the mother board.

• JackE

Cory>>>there may be a bigger hardware issue with the MB or the connection from the MB to the HDD causing the issue.>>>

Mark>>> I checked all the ribons form the mother board to the hard drive checked the partions on the HD and nothing so it must be the mother board.>>>

I guess I'm not convinced. I fail to see how the installation proceeds and then stops at precisely to same spot Z:\IMAGES\POP0109L0OX00C0115.SWM  could suggest an issue with the MB or HDD connection thereto. I would think that the bios would detect this sort of a problem. Is there some kind of an explanation in 25 words or less that might enlighten me on how this might happen? Mark, did you actually re-seat the ribbon connectors a few times or just eyeballed them?

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

This discussion has been closed.