old hard drive fried bought a new one

trevorwhatever
trevorwhatever Member Posts: 4 New User
Hi, as the title states my old hard drive bit the dust so I bought a new one. My question here is how do I go about using my windows 7 from my old hard drive so I dont need to waste over 100 dollars just to buy a new copy. Thank you for your time.

Answers

• vvprad
    vvprad Member Posts: 246 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

Hi..

If you have created recovery discs from the old hard drive, you can use the same to install Windows 7 on the new hard drive. If you don't have it, you have two options to install Windows 7.

1. Purchase recovery discs from Acer From THIS LINK

2. You may purchase a retail version of Windows 7 (with product key) and install on the hard drive.

• trevorwhatever
    Ok so I just enter my SNID and then buy the disc and pop it into my pc once it comes? Sorry if the questions dumb I just really dont wanna screw up. I really apreciate your help.
  • vvprad

No problem..

Once you enter the Serial number, cliick on Submit button.

Below that, you will see the label of the recovery discs/media and cost. Click on "Add to Cart" and proceed to place the order.

• trevorwhatever
    Oh I just had another thought, a friend if mine said I wouldnt be able to use my previous windows' product key unless I deactivated it on my old hard drive. Is this true?
  • vvprad

Hi..

If you install Windows using the Acer recovery discs, you are not required to enter any product key, as the OEM product key is embedded on the Acer discs.

• trevorwhatever
    Oh thay makes sense. Thanks a bunch for all your help.
This discussion has been closed.