no bootable device - aspire V5-572PG

Options
didgydont
didgydont Member Posts: 6 New User

hi all

im am currently woking on a aspire v5-572PG the pops up with a blue prompt that says "No Bootable Device, Hit any key". when i check the bios hdd0 hdd1 both say there is no hdd but when I boot of my windows 8 recovery flash drive I can see the C: drive and all of its contents from the command prompt. i have tried a couple of guides on repairing the efi and bcd with no joy. i have ran chkdsk c: /x /r which found an error and corrected it but still same fault. at this point im out of ideas any suggestions are much appreaciated.

thank you for your time.

Best Answer

• Alan-London
    Alan-London ACE Posts: 793 Pioneer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Yes, it should always appear in the BIOS regardless of format state (assuming it hasn't failed).
    I suggested Recovery Console (called ASO in Win8) simply because your USB stick managed to find it.
    What I don't understand is why the BIOS isn't reporting the HDD. You could try reseating the HDD just in case you have an intermittent connection.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

BIOS not finding HDDs is not a good sign but it's strange that you can access files on it with the recovery USB.

Have you already tried a "load factory default" or "load optimize default" on BIOS?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • didgydont
    Options

I have tried the bios reset and a system restore but im not willing to a factory resest just yet. I have been able to take a snapshot with ghost or acronis as my pe disk dont see the drive only the windows 8 revovery flash drive sees the drive. thank you for your suggestions. If i can get a snapshot i will try the factory reset.

• Alan-London
    Options

As your data appears to be intact, I would guess that your MBR and/or boot sector is damaged.
    You may be able to reconstuct from the Windows Recovery Console by using your backup disk.

Try F8 during boot. Hopefully you may be able to run the recovery console from your USB stick.

• didgydont
    Options

I have tried

bootrec /fixmbr

bootrec /fixboot

bootrec /rebuildbcd

is this what you are talking about ? if so this is what I was talking about when I said I tried repairing the BCD with my windows recovery flash drive. Also normally with a damaged boot sector or MBR doesnt it still show up in the bois ?

Thank you also for taking the time to read this.

• Alan-London
    Alan-London ACE Posts: 793 Pioneer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Yes, it should always appear in the BIOS regardless of format state (assuming it hasn't failed).
    I suggested Recovery Console (called ASO in Win8) simply because your USB stick managed to find it.
    What I don't understand is why the BIOS isn't reporting the HDD. You could try reseating the HDD just in case you have an intermittent connection.

• didgydont
    Options

would opening the laptop void the warrenty as it is only new ?

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

didgydont wrote:

would opening the laptop void the warrenty as it is only new ?

In my opinion, try to recover as many data as you can and call the Acer support service.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • didgydont
    Options

thank alan-london the cable was loose never in a million years would i have thought you could access the data but not see the drive with a loose cable.

• Alan-London
    Options

A poor connection can manifest in many different ways! Some seem to defy logic! Your particular poor connection could have been influenced by heat or vibration but who knows.

I would not have suggested you open a machine that is still within warranty as there is always the risk of voiding it. In those circumstances, Ironfly's advice is sound!! However, it is done. I'm glad to hear it was a simple fix.

This discussion has been closed.