aspire r7 572 display scratches

Brunoosti
Brunoosti Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Recently i've noticed something that really bothered me : ( By any means a small scratch appeared on the screen : /. I take really good care so that things like this doesn't happen. Well.. when i was examining it closely noticed that there where scratches all over around the display : //////. Most on the frame area than in the middle of the screen. And maybe that little most noticeable scratch was caused by those other ones.... You can see it better if you use your breath to fog the screen. I'll take pictures later to show you. Could those be caused during the manufacturing process? Would that be normal (don't think so)? The worst is that i bought it a couple months ago when I was on vacation in the US, but i live in Brazil... so, maybe (for sure), i'll not be covered by warranty.

Very disappointed with acer's quality control in this case 

Best Answer

• scrambler
    scrambler Member Posts: 127 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓

if they are not going to fix it, you could try to add one of the screen protectors that is wet installed.

Given the scratches are very thin, it may render them invisible.

Answers

• scrambler

Do you transport it in a sleeve/case, and do you always put the microfiber sheet that came with it inside bewteen the screen and the keyboard when you transport it?

• Brunoosti

Tinkerer

Yep, always in a sleeve, lid closed. But never with the microfiber between the screen and the keyboard. Would that really be necessary??

Also the scratches are really long and a bit curved, from the bottom to the top of the left side of the screen, between the frame and the image area. here are some smaller on the bottom of the screen and fewer ones on the right side of it. I can only imagine they were caused during the manufacturing process, because they don't resemble any writing movement or cleaning pastern.

That isn't gorilla glass or anything similar, is it? 

• scrambler

Long scratches spreading all the way to the side do look strange, but if you did not notice them right after buying it, it is hard to make a case for it with Asus (does not cost anything to try).

I put the protective sheet when I carry the computer in its sleeve inside a bag/bagpack, as sometime that ends up applying unusual pressure on the whole thing.

• Brunoosti

Tinkerer

These long scratches are only noticeable seen when you fog the screen with you breath. I only noticed them because i went to inspect the smaller more apparent scratch. Otherwise, i think i'd never notice them. They are even hard to feel with you finger nail. 

It would be a awesome if Acer took my case, because I may certainly not be covered by warranty, as bought it in the US and live in Brazil.

• Brunoosti

Tinkerer

There they are:

[removed broken link to OneDrive]

and one outside of the link. That scratches go from top to bottom, like one line.

WP_20140729_02_38_20_Pro.jpg

• scrambler

They do look like what could happen if one would clean their screen with the wrong material.

If this is not what you did, you can try contacting Asus, but the fact that it has been a couple of month since you bought it will not play in your favor.

But as i said before, it does not hurt to try Smiley Happy

• Brunoosti

Tinkerer

Yep, they do look like scratches from cleaning with the wrong material. I even suspected that, but the pattern does not resemble the circular cleaning motion. Its hard to take a picture of the entire screen and show the scratches at the same time. I saw the link to onedrive with the pictures was removed/broken... I'll try to post every pic directly here on the forum. The other funny thing is that the scratches are only on the sides. In the middle of the screen there is nothing. I can only imagine they were caused in the manufacturing process.. wile cleaning the screen after laying it on the frame, maybe...

On the some images you can see the scrathes better when the screen is fogged. 

By Asus you meant Acer??

WP_20140729_02_32_55_Pro.jpg

WP_20140729_02_35_30_Pro.jpgWP_20140729_02_35_47_Pro.jpg

WP_20140729_02_36_00_Pro.jpgWP_20140729_02_36_21_Pro.jpgWP_20140729_02_36_58_Pro.jpgWP_20140729_02_37_25_Pro.jpgWP_20140729_02_38_20_Pro.jpgWP_20140729_02_38_34_Pro.jpgWP_20140729_02_38_43_Pro.jpgWP_20140729_02_38_58_Pro.jpg

• scrambler

Yes I meant Acer Smiley Happy

• Brunoosti

Tinkerer

I wish Acer would have a word on this.. It can be a severe quality controll issue and my laptops may being sold with this problem. I contacted the chat support and unfortunately the only "maybe" way to have it fixed is getting to Brasil's Acer office, and trying to use the International Travelers Warranty.. I'll call them and see what they say.. But I'm certainly doomed with those scratches.
  • Brunoosti

Tinkerer

I've just called them. The guy told me I'd no be eligible for the ITW warranty (of course, because i LIVE in Brazil, and would have to prove that i'm only travelling). The repair would cost around U$ 250,00... Acer!! Please help me on this one!

• scrambler
    Answer ✓

if they are not going to fix it, you could try to add one of the screen protectors that is wet installed.

Given the scratches are very thin, it may render them invisible.

• Brunoosti

Tinkerer

That is a good idea.. the thing is that most screen protectors i could find only cover the main image part of the screen... I'll try my luck with displex scratch remover.
  • Brunoosti

Tinkerer

I've tried Diplex, which is a scratch remover. They say not to use on touchscreens (there is a touchscreen version that does not remove scratches though), but i went for it anyway. Well.. as it dissolves a bit of the material to "fill" the scratches, Displex ended up removing some anti-smudge/finger print layer of the screen. So any flick of my finger on that area would easily leave a  smudge visible mark : (, but the most superficial scratches were completely gone! 

Had to approach the screen protector solution. I found this Gearmaxx aspire r7 anti glare screen protector and the screen could not be better! Even better than if there were no scratches from the beginning : D

The screen protector reduces reflections and almost eliminate the finger print smudges. Awesome! Also, it makes a better surface to write on. I was able to install it perfectly with no bubbles or dust under the protector (here is a hint when installing these screen protectors: use tape to one of the sides of your device (like a dor hinge) to keep it aligned when you are going to peal the adesive film;  don't mind the initial bubbles; after you place the protector, push a bigger bubble around to "chase" the smaller ones, than lead it to the border of the screen; it is much easier to get rid of the small bubbles catching them with a bigger one; and don't let any dust sit on the monitor when applying the screen protector; if so, you can lift the screen protector with a piece of tape and remove the dust with aonther; don't touch with your finger the sticky part of the screen protector)

This discussion has been closed.