acer aspire 5730 laptop microphone does not work

Anna287
Anna287 Member Posts: 1 New User

I am not good at this, but my microphone has stopped working.  When using Skype I can hear the conversation no problem.  They cannot hear me.  Is there a SIMPLE solution??

Answers

• Ryanrr
    Ryanrr Member Posts: 831 Practitioner WiFi Icon

If they are unable to hear you, the microphone may not have been setup on first installation or not setup properly. Skype has a few support articles related to your issue. The articles below have step-by-step instructions that may help resolve you issue.

How do I configure Skype to work with a new headset, microphone or speakers?

My friend can't hear me... (Windows desktop)

• oldyellr
    oldyellr Member Posts: 6 New User

I just went through this with an old hand-me-down Aspire 5100 laptop.

Right click the "speaker" icon in your tray and click Recording devices. I see a microphone and Line In.  Tap your built-in microphone and you should see the green bar to the right move. If not, click Properties then Levels and move the microphone and boost sliders both all the way to the right. Now, when you tap the mic, you should see the green bar jump up.

In my case I saw the green bar, but still didn't get hardly any volume. But when I plugged in an external mic in the front of the laptop, it worked fine. I suspect that the previous owner spilled something and gummed up the built-in mic, making it practically useless.

• BearPaw
    BearPaw Member Posts: 69 Troubleshooter

oldyellr wrote:

I just went through this with an old hand-me-down Aspire 5100 laptop.

Right click the "speaker" icon in your tray and click Recording devices. I see a microphone and Line In.  Tap your built-in microphone and you should see the green bar to the right move. If not, click Properties then Levels and move the microphone and boost sliders both all the way to the right. Now, when you tap the mic, you should see the green bar jump up.

In my case I saw the green bar, but still didn't get hardly any volume. But when I plugged in an external mic in the front of the laptop, it worked fine. I suspect that the previous owner spilled something and gummed up the built-in mic, making it practically useless.

In addition to this advice, be sure you are using a proper driver. While the generic High Definition Audio device driver installed by Windows is sufficient for most tasks, it may cause compatibility issues with other programs. 

This discussion has been closed.