Windows Setup could not configure Windows on this computer’s hardware

Options
zest
zest Member Posts: 3 New User

I have replaced the hard drive following a hard drive failure.  Using the original Recovery Disks I created, I have completed the restore process and the laptop attempts to reboot.  However, I get the message "Windows Setup could not configure Windows on this computer’s hardware" during the "starting windows services" phase.

This is an Acer 5332, with Windows 7 on the recovery disks.  I believe the issue may be related to the new HDD drive being "Advanced format", with a larger physical sector size of 4 kilobytes.  The HDD type in the BIOS is set to AHCI, but I am running out of ideas.  Any thoughts?

Best Answer

• onedementedsmrf
    onedementedsmrf Member Posts: 3 New User
    Answer ✓
    Options

It's more than likely something to do with the recovery media not liking the new HDD, best thing I could suggest is get your hands on a Windows 7 install disc and install from scratch then just pull the necessary drivers/programs off the recovery media.

Answers

• onedementedsmrf
    onedementedsmrf Member Posts: 3 New User
    Answer ✓
    Options

It's more than likely something to do with the recovery media not liking the new HDD, best thing I could suggest is get your hands on a Windows 7 install disc and install from scratch then just pull the necessary drivers/programs off the recovery media.

• ScottyC
    ScottyC Member Posts: 433 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

Exactly right. Acer recovery media is designed to only work on the original equipment for which it was created. The computer has changed and apparently is causing issues. You can either get another copy of Windows and install that, or you can contact Acer and they will provide you with a replacement HDD free of charge assuming you are still in warranty. The HDD they send you will be compatible with your system and install media so you'll be able to use the same RCD's.

• zest
    Options

Yes thanks that sounds like the right approach.  I'll get hold of the Windows 7 media.

• zest
    Options

Windows 7 downloaded and installed and all works fine now.  Thanks

This discussion has been closed.