Windows RE image can't be found

Daniol71
Daniol71 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

Hi, I have an Aspire V3-772G. I can't create a recovery drive anymore. I ran reagentc.exe in command-prompt and it's pointing to the correct recovery location, but Windows RE is disabled and for some reason I can't reenable it. Does anybody know how to fix this?

Here are some screenshots to help describe the problem

Best Answer

• Daniol71

Tinkerer

Answer ✓

Thank you very much, the solution seems to be in another thread, which was linked in the thread you posted. Here's the link.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/53334-could-not-find-recovery-environment.html

I have a few additional questions.

Which one of my 3 recovery partitions is Windows 8.1?

If I do a factory reset, will I go back to Windows 8 or 8.1?

Looking at the instructions in the link I posted (second post by topgundcp), would that reset my computer to fresh Windows install, or back to Acer factory settings?

Thanks in advance

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

Did your lapyop come with Windows 8 and was upgraded To 8.1?

Try this:

https://neosmart.net/wiki/we-cant-create-a-recovery-drive-on-this-pc/#Case_3_Upgrade_to_Windows_81

• Daniol71

Tinkerer

It was upgraded to Win 8.1. I'll give this a go and post my results, cheers.

• Daniol71

Tinkerer

Just realized you have to buy the program, which I won't do since I don't even know if it works.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

As you can notice, there are many Recovery partition on your HDD.

the 2 of around 400 Mb, are the windows created (1 windows 8 recovery, 1 windows 8.1 recovery)

the other one of about 17Gb is the Acer recovery partition, this is used by Acer eRecovery to re-install or reset to factory default your notebook.

So, what do you are looking for?

a simple recovery windows CD/USB media or create USB/DVD media installer?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Daniol71

Tinkerer

Thanks, I thought that was weird too, but now I understand why there are three recovery partitions.

I'm trying to make a factory recovery drive through Acer Recovery Management. I just want to make a factory recovery (OEM recovery with Acer drivers and bloatware). So this is in the 17GB partition, which is partition 6. This is the partition that the recovery is pointing to.

However, in Disk Managment all the recovery partitions are marked as 100% free. Have they all been wiped?

• IronFly

Nope, not wiped, simply hidden, so the OS thought is 100% free.

• Daniol71

Tinkerer

Ok, so there shouldn't be any problems normally, right? Windows says I can't create a recovery drive because files are missing and regaentc.exe tells me that Windows RE is disabled and enabling it doesn't work, Windows says the RE image can't be found.
  • IronFly

Probably the update to 8.1 messed up the partition scheme for eRecovery, so in my opinion that's the real problem.

check this thread:

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/54058-windows-8-1-recovery-could-not-find-recovery-environment.html

• Daniol71

Tinkerer

Answer ✓

Thank you very much, the solution seems to be in another thread, which was linked in the thread you posted. Here's the link.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/53334-could-not-find-recovery-environment.html

I have a few additional questions.

Which one of my 3 recovery partitions is Windows 8.1?

If I do a factory reset, will I go back to Windows 8 or 8.1?

Looking at the instructions in the link I posted (second post by topgundcp), would that reset my computer to fresh Windows install, or back to Acer factory settings?

Thanks in advance

• IronFly

good question, one of the 2 400-450MB marked as recovery.

if you do a factory reset, using Acer recovery, you will revert to windows 8.

using windows 8.1 refresh, it will refresh your 8.1 installation but in your situation i would never do it, too much partition confusion.

• Daniol71

Tinkerer

Okay, makes sense. Thanks for the info.

What I've currently done is

1) Point WindowsRE to the 450MB recovery (guessing that the larger of the 2 is the Windows 8.1 recovery)

2) Left the Recovery Image location pointing to the 17GB Acer recovery

• Daniol71

Tinkerer

Acer Recovery Management seems to work fine, I'll post back when the drive is complete.

Does this look OK or is it horribly wrong? Is WindowsRE supposed to point to the 17GB partition or even to the 400MB partition (which I guess is Windows 8)?

• IronFly

i think it's good.

• Daniol71

Tinkerer

The recovery drive was successfully created, so it seems to work Smiley Happy

Thanks for your help!

• IronFly

You welcome. Smiley Happy