Windows 8 product key

p_mihir24
p_mihir24 Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi,

I purchased AcerE1-571 laptop from Sweden. I got international Warranty. I came in turkey in Jan-2014. After 3 months my laptop has problem, I contacted to acer Service center, turkey they replied that your warranty is finished from arrival date. I purchased laptop in August 2013. Unfortunately I don't have backup and My hard disk not recognized when I start the laptop. I purchased new one from the market and try to install window 8 but asking product key. Now, I don't have Windows 8 key and backup also Acer service center is not provideded me good service. How warranty is finished in 3 months???

Can you help me for this????

[subject line edited to reflect new topic]

Answers

• McNugit
    McNugit Member Posts: 2 New User
    http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/30363-Windows-8-Product-Key-Viewer Windows 8 have the key in the bios, use this tool to view it, good luck!
  • Alan-London
    Alan-London ACE Posts: 793 Pioneer

This issue crops up time and time again.

1. There is NO benefit to extracting the Win8 product key - NONE!
    Why? because the key will ONLY work with Acer's OEM version of Windows. If you have that version either on your HDD recovery partition or recovery disk set then you will not need to enter it - it will activate automatically. It follows that viewing the key is pointless.

2. If you have not created recovery media and you replace your HDD you will need to purchase a disk set from Acer. It will NOT come with a key as it is embedded in your machine (Microsoft does not allow OEM software to issued with a key).

3. If you elect to purchase a retail copy of Windows it will come with its own unique key which must be used as the embedded OEM key will not be valid.

In short, the embedded key will only work with the Acer OEM version. If you have the Acer OEM version you do not need to enter a key.

• silizium
    silizium Member Posts: 239 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

@Alan-London

You are wrong. The Acer OEM key will work with a plain installation of Windows 8/8.1/8.1 with Update 1. I've done it for myself. I installed Windows 8.1 on a Dell R7 Notebook without this useless Acer recovery image. The only task you have to do is to activate Windows 8.1 through telephone.

I don't know how it is handled in other countries but in germany you can simply call a Microsoft number and activate your copy of Windows on any other computer.

Microsoft has lifted the constrictions of OEM activating some time ago.

This discussion has been closed.