Topic

Visitor
magomerlano

Windows 8.1 PRO clean install on Aspire E1 572G

Hello,

i've just bought an Acer Aspire E1 notebook with Windows 8.1 pre-installed.

I've separately bought a Windows 8.1 PRO dvd with OEM license, as i needed the PRO version for the Hyper-V support.

Now i would like to have a clean/fresh install of my dvd on this laptop, removing the "home/standard" version that came with it.

Merely installing the product isn't enough.

I formatted the system partition before installing and run the install program booting from the DVD, but :

1) no product key has ever been asked to me by the installation procedure
2) windows installs correctly and it is a "clean" setup since i don't have the acer support tools installed anymore

3) alas, this still is the "home/standard" edition, without the PRO features enabled!

I understand this has something to do with the product keys being stored into the BIOS/UEFI, but is there any proved workaround?

To be more specific, i've found a walkthrough (covering win 8, but i don't think things have changed between 8 and 8.1)that suggests to manually add a config file with the "new" product key in the installation image, thus bypassing the UEFI-stored key:

http://www.blogsolute.com/windows-8-clean-installation-product-key-do-not-match/25990/

Is this procedure correct and "guaranteed" ?

My fear is to end up with a new installation that doesn't work (and/or with a non-working product activation) and with a "forever lost" old installation...

Thanks

matteo

Acer Technician
Acer-Blayn

Re: Windows 8.1 PRO clean install on Aspire E1 572G

Have you tried contacting Microsoft to see what they recommend? Unfortunately, I do not know why it would not prompt you for a product key afte doing a clean install. I believe you are correct that it does have something to do with the key in the BIOS, but I don't have any suggestions on how to activate your copy of 8.1 Pro.

Important Links: US Driver Downloads | Knowledge Base Articles | Service Locations
Remember to mark posts that resolved your issue with Accept as Solution.
You can even mark multiple posts in a single thread. This will make it easier for others to find the same information.

Welcome, Guest

Not A Member?   Register
Help
Language:
Member Highlight

Long time Acer Community member and leader Padgett has reached a new milestone of 1500 posts helping and guiding others to solution. Please join me in congratulating Padgett on this accomplishment.

ACE Pioneer

Did you know?

Acer Community is also available in the following languages: