Why does Acer Updater not find updated drivers listed on Acer website ?

rameshiyer
rameshiyer Member Posts: 15 New User

I have been using an Acer Aspire 5742G notebook for over 1.5 years and though I have tried to find updated drivers for my notebook's drivers, the Acer Updater installed never finds one, though some new drivers are listed on the Acer India website. Also, I have run the H/w Detection tool to verify which makes of components are installed on my notebook, and wanted to download and install updated drivers manually. This is particularly for nVidia Drivers which are "old" compared to nVidia's website which has recently released version 306.97 which mentions the graphic chip nVidia GT 420M installed on my notebook.

Is is safe to update drivers from OEMs like nVidia, and whether I should download & install "newer" drivers from Acer India website for other components such as LAN, Bluetooth, or Wireless LAN, etc. Would appreciate advise from knowledgeable folks. Thank you.

Best Answer

• rameshiyer
    Answer ✓

After much deliberation I uninstalled all software components related to nVidia from Windows Control Panel and installed the one available on Acer India website (Ver 285.90). This seems to have a clearer font rendering than the "latest" drivers (Ver 306.97) available on nVidia India website which is supposed to be compatible for this graphic chip (GeForce GT 420M). So, it seems better to stick to vendor certified and provided drivers than update with OEM's drivers, even if termed as "latest'.

Answers

• JC_1234
    JC_1234 Member Posts: 198 Troubleshooter

Generally you should only download the drivers for the region your unit came from. I personally use the NVidia auto-update tool to let me know when my graphics have updated drivers, and use them without any problems. I haven't had any problems using the manufacturer of the hardwares drivers for my unit yet, so you can create a restore point and try the updates to see if it has any problems.

• rameshiyer

I agree. That's precisely why I first check the Acer India website for updated drivers for my notebook. As I mentioned earlier, there are some newer drivers for some components of my notebook listed on Acer's website, but is not detected by their PC based Acer Updater program. Would have made it much easier to track and update drivers if their Updater tool worked well.

Secondly, I too check nVidia website for newer drivers and have also signed up to receive intimations from them as and when newer drivers are made available for my notebook GPU - nVidia GT 420M. However, there's a rider on nVidia site too, advising customers to check with notebook providers' websites for 'recommended' (meaning tested ?) updates. Hence the confusion whether to retain last tested / available drivers of nVidia from Acer's website (which, incidentally is much older than one available on nVidia website for the same GPU).

• JC_1234
    JC_1234 Member Posts: 198 Troubleshooter

Create a restore point and try it out. Smiley LOL At worst you'll just have to restore your computer back to before the update, but at least we'll know if it has any adverse effects, right? Smiley Wink

• rameshiyer
    Answer ✓

After much deliberation I uninstalled all software components related to nVidia from Windows Control Panel and installed the one available on Acer India website (Ver 285.90). This seems to have a clearer font rendering than the "latest" drivers (Ver 306.97) available on nVidia India website which is supposed to be compatible for this graphic chip (GeForce GT 420M). So, it seems better to stick to vendor certified and provided drivers than update with OEM's drivers, even if termed as "latest'.

• tikandrey1992
    tikandrey1992 Member Posts: 9 New User

I have the same issue on my laptop: Acer Aspire 5750G

I use the latest Acer updater v. 1.02.3502

But updates from the Acer website are not detected.

Any one found the solution ?

Dear Acer Technicians and Programmers

You really have some work to do.

• Seb88
    Seb88 Member Posts: 3 New User

For me the same (Iconi w511) - the acer updater keeps as from the beginning showing: 0 available updates + at the buttom on the left an organge circle "Restart necessary" - even though I've already found and installed a plenty of updates (that software was NOT detecting) from the website. And restarting an aprox 5 times since setting the tablet up...

Starting it looks some 7" for updates - yes -  but finds nothing...

This discussion has been closed.