Wake on LAN not working on my R7 Windows 8.1

Options
johngosselin
johngosselin Member Posts: 3 New User

I can't get my R7 running Windows 8.1 to wake up from sleep state with a WoL "Magic Packet." I'm using a Plugable USB2 ethernet adapter (ASIX AX88178/Realtek RTL8211CL). I have six other PC's on my home network, all running Windows 7, and WoL works fine on all of them.

I've enabled the WoL feature in the R7 bios and in the device settings for the Plugable NIC (for which I downloaded the latest drivers from Plugable), and I've tried to wake up the R7 with the Fast Startup feature both on and off. The R7 has just slept through it all.

Any suggestions?

Best Answer

• johngosselin
    Answer ✓
    Options

vvprad, thanks for your response. But note if you uncheck the "turn off" box, the "wake" box and the "magic" box both grey out. Apparently you have to let the PC to turn off the NIC in order to have the NIC wake up the PC. Doesn't make sense, but that's the way both Win7 and Win8 do it.

Anyway, I tested my USB NIC on a Dell Win7 laptop. WoL didn't work there either until I enabled the USB wake function in the bios. So if you're using a USB NIC, you have to look for relevant settings for the NIC and for USB. As you suggested with the USB power setting suggestion.

But here's the bottom line: I disconnected the NIC from the USB3 port on my R7 and plugged it into the USB2 port, and WoL woke up. The USB NIC did everything else perfectly using the USB3 port, but not WoL.

Answers

• vvprad
    vvprad Member Posts: 246 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

Go to Device Manager.

Expand Network adapters.

Right click on your 'ASIX AX88178/Realtek RTL8211CL' and select Properties.

Select the Power Management tab.

Uncheck the box with the option "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

Check the "Allow this device to wake the computer" and "Only allow magic packet... "

Click Ok.

Then go to Control Panel-> Hardware and sound or "power options". Click on Change Plan settings and then Change advanced power settings.

Click USB settings and select Maximum Power.

Click Apply and Ok.

• johngosselin
    Answer ✓
    Options

vvprad, thanks for your response. But note if you uncheck the "turn off" box, the "wake" box and the "magic" box both grey out. Apparently you have to let the PC to turn off the NIC in order to have the NIC wake up the PC. Doesn't make sense, but that's the way both Win7 and Win8 do it.

Anyway, I tested my USB NIC on a Dell Win7 laptop. WoL didn't work there either until I enabled the USB wake function in the bios. So if you're using a USB NIC, you have to look for relevant settings for the NIC and for USB. As you suggested with the USB power setting suggestion.

But here's the bottom line: I disconnected the NIC from the USB3 port on my R7 and plugged it into the USB2 port, and WoL woke up. The USB NIC did everything else perfectly using the USB3 port, but not WoL.

This discussion has been closed.