Very Poor Wireless Reception/Performance - Acer Aspire 5349

eysikal
eysikal Member Posts: 2 New User

My girlfriend owns an Acer Aspire 5349 laptop. She has complained about her computer not being able to connect to her wireless in her apt for months. She says the reception has gotten progressively worse and now only can connect when she is in a certain spot in her room. 

I finally got around to looking at it and couldn't figure out anything obviously wrong with the settings. The signal strength her laptop was getting was just mysteriously very low (1 or 2 bars). All of her roommates' and my laptop can connect just fine.

Because she also had some pesky malware, I decided to run a Acer system restore to see if that would help the wireless probelm at the same time. No dice. The problem remained. 

Ruling out software because of the system restore, I decided the problem had to be hardware. I bought a replacement WLAN module and opened up her machine and replaced it. STILL the problem remains. 

I'm running out of ideas. The thing just won't get good enough reception to connect. It still feels like a hardware issue to me...except now I don't know what it could be since I already tried replacing the wireless card. 

She's pretty bummed out and needs to be able to connect to wireless at school.What else I can do to try to fix this for her? 

Answers

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder

Hi eysikal!

If you've replaced the wireless card (and updated the driver), the problem must lay with the wireless router itself.

There is a very slim chance that the wireless card you bought is faulty, but this is unlikely.

Can you (or her) try the laptop at other people's places, just to see if the problem is duplicated there? If the wireless still doesn't work, no matter where you go, then it will be the wireless card at fault.

Alternatively, you could disable the wireless card, and buy one of these to fit in a spare USB port.

Belkin.jpg

Good luck, and let us know how you get on!

• Dima2005
    Dima2005 Member Posts: 2 New User

Попробуйте зайти в настройки маршрутизатора / проф-настройки или дополнительно / там есть раздел настройки радиуса трансляции, может они сбились

• eysikal
    eysikal Member Posts: 2 New User

"If you've replaced the wireless card (and updated the driver), the problem must lay with the wireless router itself."

The problem is NOT the router. As I said in my post, other laptops including mine can connect just fine. 

I do appreciate the suggestion to look for a wireless USB unit.

I just am very confused as to what the problem could be.  

• losepete
    losepete Member Posts: 3 New User
    A suggestion to check whether it is a Windows problem or hardware problem: Shrink the Windows volume and install a diffferent OS - linux is freely available. If the problem persists it is hardware; if not it is a Windows problem - maybe you have not got rid of all the malware despite the system restore. Regards Pete
  • finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder

OK, if it's not the router, then the ONLY thing it can be is the replacement card.

See if the store you bought it from will exchange it.

This discussion has been closed.