V3-771g w8 i7. Bios v2.28 How to disable secure boot mode and enable boot from usb/dvd

Friarfish
Friarfish Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi folks,

Recently my shared w8 laptop with my brother become sick. So I decided to pull out the old trusty diagnostic

Usb and dvd, you know, ubcd centos ophrack. Much to my dismay, I couldn't boot any of them. So after some faffing

about on the net, I was able to set boot/secure boot/disabled which meant I could f12 at bootup into boot manager.

Alas, the drama wasn't over. The boot manager kindly listed the internal hdd, but not the bootable usb or dvd connected.  so I thought,  I'll be cunning and change the boot startup order. Again the Acer Bios monster laughed jeeringly at my attempts to

gain control of hardware I dared to try control simply because I happened to pay a substantial amount of money to acer.

So it appears,  tthe only option I have left to change is boot/boot mode/(uefi/legacy boot). So is that what I need to change to give back control of boot up, is to change uefi to legacy bios? Is that going to cack the w8 install?

Also what happens if I want to replace the hdd with a ssd in the near future,  is  it not to work?

Oh, I attempted to get help from acer email, their reply basically said bios/uefi is is not an acer issue as it is sw and directed

me to what appeared to be a pay per minute service.

Good customer skills Acer.

All help appreciated,

Best Answer

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

hi..

Secure Boot is a feature designed to prevent malicious software and unauthorized media from loading during the boot process. This option is enabled by default, but can be turned off in UEFI / BIOS.

Completely shut down your compuer.
    Power on the system. As soon as the first logo screen appears, immediately press F2 to enter the BIOS.
    Use the right arrow key to select Security.
    Use the down arrow key to highlight Set Supervisor Password and press Enter.
    Create a password and press Enter. Retype the password to confirm and press Enter again.
    Use the right arrow key to select Boot.
    Press the down arrow key to select Secure Boot and press Enter.
    With the arrow key, highlight Disabled and press Enter.
    Press the F10 key and select Yes to save the changes and exit the BIOS.

NOTE: We suggest removing the supervisor password immediately after enabling Secure Boot. If you choose not to remove your supervisor password, make sure you write it down for future use.

Also, in the Boot list make sure that the first device is the USB HDD followed by a model name.

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

hi..

Secure Boot is a feature designed to prevent malicious software and unauthorized media from loading during the boot process. This option is enabled by default, but can be turned off in UEFI / BIOS.

Completely shut down your compuer.
    Power on the system. As soon as the first logo screen appears, immediately press F2 to enter the BIOS.
    Use the right arrow key to select Security.
    Use the down arrow key to highlight Set Supervisor Password and press Enter.
    Create a password and press Enter. Retype the password to confirm and press Enter again.
    Use the right arrow key to select Boot.
    Press the down arrow key to select Secure Boot and press Enter.
    With the arrow key, highlight Disabled and press Enter.
    Press the F10 key and select Yes to save the changes and exit the BIOS.

NOTE: We suggest removing the supervisor password immediately after enabling Secure Boot. If you choose not to remove your supervisor password, make sure you write it down for future use.

Also, in the Boot list make sure that the first device is the USB HDD followed by a model name.

• Friarfish
    Friarfish Member Posts: 3 New User

Thanks,

I'll give this a whirl but not going to hold my breath.

Thanks again,

Andrew

This discussion has been closed.