USB recovery of Aspire One 0756 fails

Options
sinistershade
sinistershade Member Posts: 3 New User

I had to run Win XP on my Aspire One 0756 for a while, so I created a USB recovery drive from the Win 8 recovery partition.

Now when I attempt to recover ("reset") to the original factory Win 8 from the USB recovery drive, the process leaves me with an unbootable netobook.

I run through the reset routine (including repartitioning the drive), and all seems fine. At the end, however, when the computer reboots, I am not given a "continue with Windows" option, as indicated in the documentation. Just the same recovery options as when I began the reset.

If I remove the USB drive and force a reboot, I get the following errors trying to boot off the restored hard drive:

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable

PXE-M0F: Exiting Broadcom PXE ROM.

No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

Normally this error would suggest a hard drive problem, but if there was a problem with the hard drive, I don't think the repartition and restore to the drive would complete without errors. (I've run through the reset a numbert of times without errors until rebooting without the USB drive.) Also, the drive is seen and identified by the BIOS.

Booting from the USB recovery drive, I can get to a command prompt, from which I can see that there are files on the hard drive. Running a chkdsk on the c drive returns normal results with no errors except "Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50." The chkdsk otherwise finds no problems.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Ross

Answers

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder
    Options

Hi Ross

Sometimes a failing hard drive can behave like yours! I'd suggest replacing the drive anyway, and reinstalling Windows from your USB recovery stick.

• sinistershade
    Options

Thanks for chiming in, finlux. I may have to do that. I'm just not sure it's worth the expense to keep a cheap netbook alive.

Ross

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder
    Options

Fair comment Ross, although small capacity hard drives are pretty inexpensive at the moment!

• ajay_1988
    ajay_1988 Member Posts: 77 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options
    Hi bro,

I looked at your issue and i would suggest you to once try a fresh installation with a fresh Windows CD and check if you are able to boot or not.

Lets give it a shot and try
  • sinistershade
    Options

Funny you should mention that, ajay. That's exactly what I did last night. I repartitioned and installed from a generic Win 8.1 DVD. Worked like a charm. The netbook boots fine into 8.1 off the hard drive. Of course, I won't have the hidden recovery partition, and I'll need to install some Acer-specific drivers, but it's perfectly usable. It suggests some problem with the recovery process, rather than with the hard drive.

Thanks!

Ross

This discussion has been closed.